Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > Simply Irresistible

Simply Irresistible by Rachel Gibson

Oct 19, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: series, series-1st-book, author-rachel-gibson, contemporary-romance, 2011, adult
Read from February 08 to 09, 2011

This was nowhere near as good as I expected it to be. I've read only one book by Rachel Gibson before and I gotta admit, that book was enough for me to follow her work. It was hilarious, it was romantic, the couple had just the right amount of bickering going on and so I enjoyed it to no end. If you're wondering, that book was called Truly Madly Yours.

This book had a nice enough plotline to get the story going, but unfortunately I didn't feel quite as connected to the characters as I generally do in other romance books. It tells the story of a hockey player and a young bride from Texas who ditches her old fianceé at the altar.

Even though it wasn't that damaging to the whole story, the fact that I know absolutely nothing about hockey had made the hero's parts with his friends a bit hard to get through. The hero is a jock, and unfortunately all through the book I couldn't shake the feel that he was just lusting after her instead of gradually falling for her.

The heroine was a very self-conscious girl who kept questioning the hero's motives over and over. Just when I thought she finally believed he loved her, she started asking herself 'why?'. Why why why? It got tiring after a while. It seemed like both of them just kept changing their ideas about one another.

And just when I thought by the end the story could have a nice twist, well, it turned out it wasn't much of a twist. And then there was the hero's thought towards his daughter. The little girl liked to put on make-up, I mean bright colored eye shadow and lipstick and stuff. And c'mon, what little girl wouldn't try their mother's make-up at some point right? But I think twice the hero referred to his daughter's choice of facial paint as whore make-up and thought it was embarassing when they went out to dinner as a family and I don't know, that bothered me.

And another thing that kept distracting me was the heroine's breasts. That's right. If I'd seen it with my own eyes for real, I think this is how much it could've ditracted me. I think close to a hundred times the hero describes her boobs as huge that all I could think about when I pictured her was something like this:

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for this, maybe I just couldn't get it but in the end, it just wasn't that good for me. I will, however, continue the series and see if things will improve, or if perhaps hockey players are not my cup of tea, and I will definitely try her other series as well cause there's this girl in me that wants that perfect story of Truly Madly Yours back.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Irresistible.

02/08/2011 page 127

Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight) How are you liking it so far? I really have to pick up another one of her books as I really loved the one read a while ago It Must Be Love.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Well Kerstin, I finished and just posted my review :) But gotta say, this was not as good as I thought it would be. Before this, my only read by Rachel Gibson was Truly Madly Yours and I loved that one, I mean loved loved loved. But this? Meh. I think I might try the one you mentioned, I know I'll keep reading by her, but just this one wasn't all that good.

Oooh, pick Truly Madly Yours, I really enjoyed that one! :D

Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight) Well, that doesn't sound too good. I might skip it and stick with her stand alone books, starting with Truly Madly Yours, which is on my TBR list anyway.
Great review though, Gokce, and I have to say those boobs certainly look like a massive distraction, wouldn't want to picture those throughout the book, lol.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yeah, it may just be that I wasn't in the mood for this but I say definitely go for her Truly Madly Yours, that was a great book :)

Lol, thanks! Yep, I couldn't help but picture her something like that and man, in my mind she wasn't a whole character but a pair of boobs! :P

Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight) Will definitely read that one.

Lol, how did you picture him then? A giant penis? That would have been rather mind-torturing...

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Well, he was better cause she didn't keep thinking about his giant penis or huge figure or something, though she did keep thinking he was built huge cause he plays hockey and all. But still, not as bad the heroine and her giant boobs!

Lol, mind torturing indeed..

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Right? RIGHT? I swear all I had in my mind about the heroine were her boobs.

Yeah, I really like the Little Black Dress covers, they're so pretty!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Nope haven't read that, but LMAO!! I don't mind if they just mention it casually or something cause then I can just read on and don't give much thought to it but when they keep mentioning it a hundred times, like she did in this one, it's all I can think about!

LOL! And you're damn right, give me the size of the other sex!