Leigh's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim, Volume 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour

Scott Pilgrim, Volume 6 by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Oct 19, 2010

bookshelves: 2010
Read from October 18 to 19, 2010

Four stars for the series overall, three star for this installment. I made the mistake of seeing the movie before reading the books, but my fiancé is a fan and the movie at least piqued my interest; I know it's cliche, but the books are far, far superior. You get way more backstory, way more insight into the characters and their relationships beyond just Scott & Ramona, but the nuances of their weird turn-of-the-Millenium courtship is explored more deeply as well. It's beautifully drawn and an extremely quick, witty read to boot. I love how much more I enjoyed Ramona's growth in the books and her final confrontation of her own demons, along with Kim's development from secondary side character to a integral part of the story--even Envy Adams turns out way more interesting in the end, even if her costumes got a little ridiculous at the end (her character art kind of broke the whole positive female body image the series had going for it, a rarity in comics).

I've read some complaints that the characters in the SP series have no redeeming qualities, but the fact of the matter is that society today doesn't have a lot going for it, period. People treat each other like shit, they cheat on each other, they play mind games, they break people's hearts, they're shallow and dumb and bitchy and sexist and racist and sometimes kinda evil. O'Malley has taken all that shit and managed to write a story that transcends all of the dumbness people are capable, all of the terrible things we do to each other and ourselves in relationships, and people it with vulnerable, imperfect characters that manage to get past all the dumb shit and the baggage, find a way to move on, and just be happy with themselves and their lives. With the help of subspace portals, ninja swords, and some good ole fashioned punk rock, of course.

I'm not a big comic book reader (Watchmen and Persepolis are the only other ones, both waaaaaay before the movies came out thankyouverymuch), but as visual person, I find myself getting into them more and more as a storytelling medium, and it was definitely the only vehicle necessary, and in my opinion the perfect one, for Scott Pilgrim and his merry band of Candian indie kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim, Volume 6.