Erin's Reviews > My Dream of You

My Dream of You by Nuala O'Faolain

Dec 23, 10

bookshelves: fiction, gaelic, delicious-melancholy, 2010, mental-health-or-lack-thereof, i-loved
Read from October 18 to December 24, 2010

Wow. By far, one of the best books I have ever read. I hope to write a more extensive review, but until then - WOW!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dream of You.

Quotes Erin Liked

Nuala O'Faolain
“I did believe, from my experience of life and of looking at the world, that men hated women.”

Nuala O'Faolain
“I tried not to think about it. But every so often it would burst out of me - why did he do something so unkind? What had I done to deserve it? I did believe, from my experience of life and of looking at the world, that men hated women. But there were all kinds of exceptions, and I'd have bet everything that this man didn't hate me, this woman.”

Nuala O'Faolain
“They're fathers second, Jimmy said. They're men first.”

Nuala O'Faolain
“Permanence, I once copied down from a magazine, is what we all want when we can love and can be loved; change is what we want when we cannot.”

Nuala O'Faolain
“The wait is long, my dream of you does not end.”

Nuala O'Faolain
“But this upland pass was the right place for remembering how, when I was young, I learned to feel for the harshness underneath every soft appearance.”

Nuala O'Faolain
“But you know, there's one simple thing I see absolutely clearly, now that I am so very old.

I looked at her. The Albert Einstein hairstyle, and the bright black eyes and the sharp nose. That pallor on her face.

She put her small hand on mine.

The world is wonderful, she said. All its little things. It is wonderful.”

10/18/2010 page 10
2.0% "... Couldn't. Resist. LOVE her use of language."
12/06/2010 page 100
18.0% "Stage set by page 80, was a little slow - getting fascinating, hope it stays that way!"
12/09/2010 page 160
29.0% "I can't believe how much I am loving this book, especially with the slow start. I don't dislike fiction, but I also don't read it much unless it has a fantasy or sci-fi angle."
12/13/2010 page 260