Barb's Reviews > The Princess and the Hound

Oct 29, 10

bookshelves: gave-it-a-try-and-then-gave-up
Read in October, 2010

Just Wasn't For Me...I Can See How Some Would Love It Though

I'm the kind of reader that likes details, I like to know what things look like, smell like and sound like. I generally don't go in for fairytales and things of that nature but I do love animals, especially dogs. The cover of the book grabbed my attention and I wondered if I would enjoy this story.

I knew going into it that it was a fairytale-like book and the writing definitely has that feel to it. It's easy to read and I thought the animal magic that must remain hidden from the world could be seen as many different qualities people have and don't feel safe revealing but the one that immediately sprang to mind was homosexuality. So, as I was reading thinking about teens who are in the closet I thought this seemed like it might speak to their particular experiences in a unique way. And I appreciated that aspect of the story.

The pacing was what I initially had a problem with, nothing really happens for at least the first hundred and sixty pages, there's also no vivid imagery to keep my mind busy and very little character development to keep things interesting. I can see how some people would love this novel, it just didn't keep my attention.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess and the Hound.