Michael's Reviews > Black House

3193784
Oct 18, 2010

bookshelves: audio
Read from September 01 to October 18, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I thoroughly enjoyed Black House, but not quite as much as The Talisman. It may be unfair to use one as the benchmark by which to judge the other, but it is difficult not to. The Talisman pulled me in and simply would not let go. I had to deal with internal debates like "you don't really need that hour of sleep, do you?" while listening to it. Black House, while entertaining and engaging, did not pull me in the same way. Part of it may be the narrative voice addressing the reader, a device I can take or leave. In this instance it placed a distance between myself and the action. I wanted to know what was going to happen. I desperately wanted all of the characters to survive safe and sound. Yet on some level I was never really worried for Jack the way I was when listening to The Talisman. The dangers were there, but they were not quite as threatening.

This is not to say that it is not a great book on it's own. After years in California, Jack Sawyer moves to a small town populated with the small town characters that King is so adept at creating. The writing is seamless, I could not point to a section and say that's where one author handed it off to the other. The narration of the audiobook is a delight featuring all of the high points one would expect from Muller -- the characters have distinct and easily recognizable voices (even when they are coming from the same character's mouth).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black House.