Goddess's Reviews > Staying At Daisy's

Staying At Daisy's by Jill Mansell

Oct 18, 10

Jill Mansell's books (that I have had the misfortune to read) have so far been an insult to any self-respecting intelligent (or even semi-intelligent) audience. All seem to follow the same premise of ultra chick lit trash. Be prepared to lose brain cells when reading her trite, clichéd rubbish.

The heroine is generally naïve and either unsuccessful in her career or from a disadvantaged background. A confirmed sap, she's invariably misunderstood by our dashing rich “hero” - and is usually betrayed by a former boyfriend or she has suffered an unfortunate break-up from a long term relationship.

The hero's are all from the same chick-lit mould - a text book recipe shared by the uncreative of romance authors: tall, dark and handsome (and invariably wealthy). If she could create a romance novel with a hero suffering a receding hairline, a middle income and of average height - her books would have some depth. If one recollects Jane Eyre - the characters' of a romance need not be good looking.

I loath absolute chick lit – and all her books are thus. Great if you're a bimbo though – because these books are so light that they float. Enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Staying At Daisy's.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori "trite, clichéd rubbish," "The hero's generally are all from the same chick lit text book of romance : tall dark and handsome (and invariably wealthy)."

i am soooo with you, and now i realize why i am hating this book...ok, heavily disliking it. i'd read and loved "miranda's big mistake," a totally, completely different formula, and was hoping to find another mansell gem. this isn't it.

Angel La I guess I am a Bimbo. I love her books. I am happy I found them. She knows how to keep you wanting to turn the page to see what happens next. I think you both gave harsh reviews. Why are you reading chic lit if you are looking for more serious classical literature like Jane Eyre anyways. Her books are not trying to be at that level of stuffiness. It is like watching a good drama series not Shakespeare. No kidding!! Note my sarcasm.