Goddess's Reviews > I Remember You

I Remember You by Harriet Evans

Oct 18, 10

I preferred this to "A Hopeless Romantic" as Tessa Tennent is a far more interesting character than the sap in "A Hopeless Romantic" (far-fetched pathetic fairytale doesn't cover how pathetic that book is).

However, Adam Smith is a seriously irritating, selfish, inconsiderate "friend" let alone "hero"

There was so much potential to for this chick lit. For one thing, Adam (the eeermm "hero"??) doesn't resemble the typical (oh so rich, manly, dark heathcliff) cliché. On the other hand there is something very Heathcliff about him (only his obsession is his mother not a "Catherine"). There is very little method to his madness. Furthermore, his "friendship" with Tessa (which is essentially what the book is meant to be about - but even that is confusing as there are so many unfinished subplots) is a farce. I suppose the book was meant to highlight this to us - however, I can't even witness why Tessa would continue having any loyalty to Adam or even attraction. I can understand that a shared history developed some affection however, maintaining would be a miracle as far as I am concerned within this situation.
Because even the biggest players and insufferable lotherio's I know - know where to draw the line. Adam just treats women as "free therapy"

Anyway, if the ending had been different, with something brilliant happening for Tess than perhaps I would have enjoyed this book. But it left me feeling glad that all my friends (male and female) have always been so supportive ... unlike Adam Smith.

I would give this 1 star but due to the potential within the book - i'm being generous.

I can't say much more as it'll give away the plot and I'm concerned that I said too much as it is - but if that's what Tess can call friendship than she's a sad sad girl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Remember You.