Pattie Tierney's Reviews > Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body

Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body by M.C. Beaton

Oct 18, 10

Read in October, 2010

Another great Beaton book with the irascible Agatha Raisin at it again. A number of murders are investigated in this book with more time passing than usual and, consequently, a mystery a bit more complex than those in the past. A new addition to the detective agency adds another dimension. There's a lot to like in this book, old familiars as well as the new, and some surprises at the end that make me anxious to read the next installment. I'll have to wait another year for book 22 and the continuing saga of Agatha and company in Carsley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman Pattietierney, there are a few of us Aggiephiles here in GoodReads, it just occurred to me that we should start an Agatha Raisin thread.

That said, I want to thank you for the heads-up about the 'mystery a bit more complex than those of the past'. Sometimes I wonder how an author with a main character series can think of new and different things to have their character get involved in...so it's heartening to find that it hasn't gone stale with Aggie yet. Beaton's characters in the AR series are warm, wonderful, and delightful...whereas her Hamish MacBeth series just didn't quite do it for me. They're obviously two different personalities, but aside from that I just realized that HMcB doesn't have the quirky supporting cast that Aggie does. Long may she live!

Pattie Tierney I'm all for starting an Agatha thread! While I like both the Hamish series and the Agatha series, like you, I do find the characters a bit more quirky in the latter than the former. I worried a bit at the beginning of this book that it was going to fizzle, I was certainly proved wrong as things continued and found a couple of spots laugh out loud funny.

Regarding the audio versions that I enjoy as well, I am distressed that the new book is read by Penelope Keith rather than Donada Peters who has done all of the others to perfection. I like Keith as an actress and I suppose she did an okay job with the 30-minute BBC radio series, but she's no Donada and I want her back!