Meg's Reviews > The Mischief of the Mistletoe

The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig

Dec 07, 10

bookshelves: sent-for-review, read-in-2010, historical-fiction
Read from December 01 to 05, 2010

Lauren Willig’s The Mischief Of The Mistletoe, the seventh book in her popular Pink Carnation series, is a wildly entertaining, funny and engaging holiday story that centers around two unlikely lovers and their unexpected entrance into the world of espionage. Arabella is about as far from a spy as one can get — pretty but not beautiful; tall, thin, unassuming; quiet and bookish, a teacher and wallflower. Conversely, Turnip is a boisterous companion: striking and talkative, wealthy but not snobbish. Infamous for his perceived lack of brains, Turnip still manages to intrigue Arabella for being exactly what so many other rich British bachelors are not: patient, kind, attentive and thoughtful. And fast on his feet.

I read the first book in Willig’s series years ago, pre-blogging, but couldn’t tell you much about The Secret History Of The Pink Carnation. Luckily, that didn’t hamper my enjoyment of this one; any background I needed to enjoy the story was provided early on. What I loved best about this novel was Willig’s light, humorous tone; even when some Serious Stuff was going down, Arabella and Turnip’s witty banter had me giggling. Despite the fact that this is historical romance (or historical fiction, take your pick), Willig doesn’t take herself too seriously. The book is quick and engaging — a truly pleasant read.

And what a surprise to find our dear Jane Austen here, operating as the ever-present voice of reason (and sarcasm) when Arabella, motherless, needs guidance. Austen lived in Bath in the early 1800s, when The Mischief Of The Mistletoe takes place, but hated the tar out of it. Our fictional heroine, Arabella, wanted nothing more than to be free of the place — and her family’s strife — herself. They are long-time friends in Willig’s latest, and I loved Jane’s cameos. They really placed and anchored the story for me.

Of course, I couldn’t talk about this one without extolling the virtues of the romance happening here! Turnip and Arabella’s slow realization of their feelings for one another was wonderfully done, and the scenes in which they talk, dance and laugh together teem with romantic tension. Willig gave us just enough to whet our appetites but keep us wanting more, and I turned the pages hoping to get another taste of their blooming love affair. The story’s mystery came as a surprise to me, too, and was one I didn’t see coming. If I’d really tried to read the signs, I might have been able to uncover it — but I was too busy drooling over Turnip, who cuts a pretty dashing figure as a hero.

Lovers of historical fiction and romance will likely love this holiday tale, which sped by as I got lost in the world of Regency England — one of my most favorite places. And what’s not to love about that lush cover? I actually gasped when I pulled it out of the mailbox. Gorgeous!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mischief of the Mistletoe.

12/01/2010 page 19
12/01/2010 page 43
13.0% "Little lost because I haven't read the earlier books. Might do some research before continuing!"
12/02/2010 page 155
46.0% "Really enjoying this one! Great romance and actually very funny."
show 2 hidden updates…