N_Allie l's Reviews > Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-This-World Moon-Pie Adventure

Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-This-World Moon-Pie Adventure by Tony DiTerlizzi

Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi

When a book starts with the phrase, "never abandon imagination" it instantly captures my attention. It's too bad in this case because that saying was the best part of the whole book. While the watercolor, gouache and colored pencil illustrations are enthralling , the text itself leaves something to the imagination.

Written and illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi (yes, the same author of The Spider Wick Chronicles), this fantastical tale is surprisingly all about Moon Pies. The story starts out simply enough, with Jimmy Zangwow, the main character, asking his mother for a Moon Pie before dinner. His mother says, "no" and the story begins.

Jimmy, angered that his mother will not allow him his Moon Pie, gets in his homemade jalopy and flies to the moon. When Jimmy gets there he asks the moon to give him some Moon Pies. The moon makes some jokes (which only older readers would understand) and then gives Jimmy 1,000 Moon Pies. Jimmy, deciding he needs some milk to go with his desserts, flies to The Milky Way. Jimmy continues to fly through various parts of space and he continues to meet various alien creatures along his way.

When Jimmy realizes he is going to be late for dinner and his jalopy got smashed up along the way, he begins to panic. How will he get home? Luckily, the aliens and creatures Jimmy met along the way become his friends and help Jimmy create a hot air balloon out of Moon Pie wrappers. Jimmy gets in his hot air balloon and makes it home just in time for dinner.

While there are some humorous parts in the story, especially if you are using this story for 4th grade and up, the bulk of this story I found to be rather boring and too wordy. Perhaps I am jaded because I simply don't "get" this genre; but I know a good book when I see one; unfortunately this is not one of them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-This-World Moon-Pie Adventure.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by N_patricia (new)

N_patricia Brunner Allie, after reading your review and talking about this book in class, I couldn't help think that if you didn't have any background knowledge about "Moon Pies" that it would be very difficulty to follow and appreciate this story. I did like the watercolor and colored pencil illustrations and agree with you that they are the best part of the book.

I am usually not a big fan of science fiction/fantasy books and maybe need to read more in this genre to appreciate the story line and humor.

Thanks for your honest review!