Cindi's Reviews > Of one heart: The glory of the City of Enoch

Of one heart by Neal A. Maxwell

Oct 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in October, 2010

In Of One Heart, Mahijah is a man finding peace and happiness through the teachings of Jesus Christ. As he follows the prophet Enoch and eventually moves to the city of Zion, he writes letters to his close friend Omner. In the style of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (we all know Lewis and Maxwell are buddies), Mahijah's letters to his friend detail his journey from skeptic to believer. The letters especially focus on the truth that as men come closer to God they treat their fellow men with more kindness and love. The book is filled with priceless Maxwellian thoughts. Here are just two of my favorites:

Without first seeking and acknowledging his Fatherhood, there can be no everlasting brotherhood of man (p 42).

When the inner man is changed, we have less and less need for outer controls (p 38).

The second part, published as a companion with Of One Heart is A Look Back at Sodom. This is a contrast and comparion to the City of Enoch. Sodom and it's neighboring cities were the most wicked places on earth and were eventually punished by being completely wiped from the face of the earth. The imaginary author of the Sodom Scrolls is a secretary to Abraham who is often sent on business to Lot who dwells in the land of Sodom. Eliezer, the steward, writes of his observations of the wickedness. While this city is in sharp contrast to the beautiful and peaceful City of Enoch, the frightening thing is the images of our own day depicted in the words.

I must quote a few of Maxwell's gems:

Adversity does not always produce appreciation, but affluence rarely does (p18).
Cleverness was more valued than goodness, and the truth of what a man said came to matter less than his manner of speech (p 19).

While I love Lewis and believe he was inspired, Maxwell has the benefit of the full truth and is equally gifted with words. I thoroughly enjoyed them and found the wisdom of Elder Maxwell inspiring. The books were originally published in 1975 and were reprinted in The Collected Works of Neal A. Maxwell.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of one heart.