Kathryn's Reviews > The Haunting of Granite Falls

The Haunting of Granite Falls by Eva Ibbotson

Nov 05, 10

bookshelves: autumn-halloween-thanksgiving, middle-grade
Read from October 18 to November 04, 2010

Another charmer from Eva Ibbotson. This time, a very young Scottish laird must sell his family's castle and the new owner is a Texan millionaire who wants the castle transported to his hometown for his ailing daughter to enjoy. He wants the whole dark Scottish castle atmosphere--except NO GHOSTS; he doesn't think his delicate daughter can handle being frightened. But, through an odd happenstance, the ghosts to make their way to Granite Falls, Texas--along with some sinister flesh-and-blood villains with designs on the millionaire's fortune; and Alex, the young laird, who helps Helen, the young Texan lass, realize there is more to her than her physical lameness.

Since I'd read The Great Ghost Rescue there were no real surprises here. The ghosts are all amusing and kind-hearted, with funny little quirks, and they get along well with the boy--so, nothing that "different" from GGR. Oh, but this time we have a Severed Hand, who features most prominently in some of the major plot twists, and I became surprisingly fond of him!!! What also I really enjoyed in this one is the friendship between Alex and Helen. Wonderful! And that the father was actually kind-hearted and very present in his daughter's life, even if he was a bit over-protective.

The villains are quite awful, especially the lead villain who named herself Adolpha after Adolph Hitler. She keeps some of his hair (at least, the shopkeeper assured her it was actually Hitler's!) in a locket around her neck, and she likes to stroke it and meditate on it. CREEPY to the max!!! BLEH! A few of the things she and her henchmen do are just a little too yucky for my taste and I think sensitive children could be very bothered, although the overall tone of the story is so warm and humorous that many children will probably be fine with the occasional intrusion of evil and, of course, good does win in the end!

All in all, a very fun read for Halloween--or any time you feel like spending time with some fun spooks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Granite Falls.

10/19/2010 page 40
18.0% "lots of spooky but friendly ghosts, and humor, as expected!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Saw this on your bookshelf it looks really interesting. What are your thoughts so far?

Kathryn Have you read any Ibbotson before? Last year I read The Great Ghost Rescue and really enjoyed it and, so far, this is along the same theme. Some rather spooky ghosts, who are actually very kind-hearted and fun and friendly. It's a bit like "Harry Potter" in writing style, I think. Parts can be a bit gross/spooky but then it's all so warmhearted and often humorous.

message 3: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda That does look like fun as well. I hope I can find them at the library!

Kathryn She is quite prolific. There's another ghost one, Dial-a-Ghost that one of my friends read and liked. I was actually planning to read that this year but then found "Granite Falls" and the Scottish castle sounded too good to pass up!!! I like to read seasonal books, or themes around holidays, but I'm also not at all a fan of horror stories and the like so this is just my speed ;->

message 5: by Dianna (new) - added it

Dianna Ooh, I haven't read this one yet.

message 6: by Qt (new)

Qt Great review! It sounds similar to the others by Ibbotson, but also quite fun--it will be added to my list :-)

message 7: by Kathryn (last edited Nov 08, 2010 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn Qt wrote: "Great review! It sounds similar to the others by Ibbotson, but also quite fun--it will be added to my list :-)"

I think you will like it! There's an old-time cinema, even :-)

message 8: by Qt (new)

Qt Ooh! :-)

Kathryn Oh, that *is* very interesting! Thanks for that info. Have you read any of Ibbotson's "ghost stories" or other MG novels??? (Sorry, I can't remember!) It's such a different style to her YA ("Countess...") but so very quirky and funny and I just really enjoy them. I think you would, too :-)