MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Carnival Aptitude: Being An Exuberance in Short Prose and Photomontage

Carnival Aptitude by Greg Boyd

Oct 18, 10

bookshelves: short-stories, merkins, art-or-illustrated
Read in October, 2010

Charming combination of collage and flash fiction. The art is surreal and witty, the stories perverse and poetic.

This is perfect way to showcase flash pieces. Flash fiction is basically a way for poets to write prose and consider themselves "proper" writers. This artistic triumph makes a convincing case for brevity.

The author is (or was) the editor of Asylum, which may or may not prejudice you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival Aptitude.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Flash fiction is basically a way for poets to write prose and consider themselves "proper" writers.

Okay I assume you don't mean it this way but this sounds pretty insulting to poets.

I also think that you are misjudging flash fiction that might be one thing it can do but the flash writers I read are as far as I know not poets at all. Flash is a way to write snapshots or moments, not just a way to make it possible for short form people to write prose.

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Hee hee. Yes, indeed. Thank you for the lashing. I have a love/hate thing with flash. So many writers are obsessed with concision, and the discipline (for me) seems more suited to poetry than prose. I just think: write a poem! It depends on the writer, as you say.

This collection was gorgeous. A hip addition to any bookshelf.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine am/pm by amelia grey is a great example of flash in a more prose/novel type exercise.

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Thanks! Will add. I also liked Anthropology by Dan Rhodes.