Carly's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

May 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-list, reread
Read in May, 2011

I just reread this, and am more impressed the second time. I love how I can come to no conclusions, and make no judgements. Brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Tiah I love many things about this book. The marriage, however, rang false.

Carly Well, her husband drove me nuts. But she seemed to love him... I have to admit I struggle to see why. But then love is blind.

Tiah I know marriages have problems (mine included) and sometimes we will take crap from our lover than nobody would believe. But the way he undermined her parenting and didn't believe her, undermined her, the way he moved her out into the burbs didn't make sense. She, who made this company, did not make sense. This supposed love she had for her husband - I kept getting told she loved him, but no sign of why. I love that Shriver is willing to delve into the darker side of marriage. But every time she does, I don't believe the set up.

Carly Hmmm, interesting! I never delved that deeply into it, just took it for granted that she loved him. But he really did gang up on her with that whole "me and Kev" routine. My only thought was that she was so guilty for not being able to love her son and always suspecting the worst, that she somehow suspected she might deserve that weird demeaning behaviour from him.