Michael's Reviews > Rhetorica in Motion: Feminist Rhetorical Methods and Methodologies

Rhetorica in Motion by Eileen E. Schell

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: 2010-and-after, rhetorical-questions
Read from October 18 to November 15, 2010

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rhetorica in Motion.

10/18/2010 page 90

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam How far back does this study go? I'm interested in this topic as it relates to the 19th century.

Michael Well, this one is very contemporary, looking mostly at just the current conception of feminist rhetorical theory. And it's mostly looking at it from a research perspective, not actually looking at the rhetorical tools of women. The essays that do have a historical orientation are mostly focused on very recent history, like the last quarter of the 20th century.

But, I would recommend the books by my badass professor, Maureen Goggin. She studies the way rhetorical concepts are expressed by women in material culture, like needlework and other forms of artistic expression. I haven't read them yet, but I'm fascinated by what she's been doing.

message 3: by Miriam (last edited Nov 02, 2010 12:48PM) (new)

Miriam Ooh, I see she did something with Beth Tobin. I usually find her stuff really interesting. Thanks!

message 4: by Michael (last edited Nov 02, 2010 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael You're welcome! I'll have to check out Beth Tobin. I'm pretty sure I haven't read anything she's done yet, but her books look very interesting. I'm still very new to the whole rhetoric field.

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I haven't studied rhetoric in any serious way, but I did some work on gender and representation in the 19th century.

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine hey feminism