Richard Guion's Reviews > Kill the Dead

Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey

Oct 24, 10

Read from October 18 to 23, 2010

Kill the Dead was equally as enjoyable as Richard Kadrey's first book in this series, Sandman Slim. As the cover blurb already tells you, part of the plot involves Satan coming to Los Angeles and getting involved in a movie about his life. It's funny how certain movie actors pop in my head while reading a book, in this case, I pictured Satan as Julian McMahon (from Nip/Tuck). Satan has a wicked sense of humor and is taking a fatherly interest in Stark (Sandman Slim), who serves as his bodyguard. There are some terrific action scenes where Stark defends Satan from a league of assassins, and another one where Stark takes on the Golden Vigil is very creative as well. A lot of characters and sub-plots from the first book are carried over, including Stark's arch-enemy Mason, who doesn't physically appear but we hear of his scheming in Hell. Kasabian is still around as Stark's roommate and is given some bizarre contraptions to help him "walk", "eat", etc. It occurred to me while reading this book that Kasabian has something in common with Bob from Jim Butcher's Dresden books: both are expository talking heads! Although very funny and captivating talking heads. Stark's adventures in this book ratchet up the chaos factor as Los Angeles gets overrun with the Walking Dead until he can figure out a way to stop it. The only un-satisfying moment of the book was the part about Stark's father. You find out who he is toward the end, but it seems anti-climatic and misses any kind of emotion. Perhaps this was intentional? The book concludes in a satisfying way, but the big Mason sub-plot is left dangling for book #3. I can't wait to read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Dead.