Willow's Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 05, 10

bookshelves: dark-hunters, paranormal, series, tortured-hero

If there was a list of tortured heroes Zarek would be on it. And he'd be near the top. He wouldn't get the crown, but damn, he'd be close. Everything in this one came together to create a story that cut you at surprising turns, made you melt at others, and just painted the picture of a man who seated himself right there in your gut with no hope of shaking him loose. Not that you'd want to. You want to hold him close, shoo the demons away, and rock him to sleep or something. Kenyon really surprised me with Zarek and just how powerful she made his story. It's easy to write a sad story. The obvious elements you'd use to make it cry. But I found myself cringing at moments from just how beautifully she wrote Zarek's pain. For those who have read it, the moment he went to buy himself a slice of bread... oh good, Lord. Your chest gets tights from how badly it hurts. And the carvings? Are you kidding me? Come here. My bosom beckons.

This one was an escape from the others, as it took place in the unforgiving cold of Alaska, and the descriptions had me freezing. Everything felt desolate until the dream shared by Astrid and Zarek. Speaking of the lady, I liked her spunk. I liked that she was someone who'd lost faith and found it in the most unlikely of sources. I liked that she broke the rules for him. I liked that she didn't take his crap, didn't patronize him, but still opened herself and her feelings up to him. This was a tough girl who wasn't going to let Zarek go once she made up her mind.

The pain of Acheron is still cutting deep. His demon, Simi, was this side of adorable. And Artemis? Oh, Ash. I want to cut you free of her. She's written so well too, though. You understand how her mind works. Her selfishness. Her desire for Acheron. Her inability to understand him even after eleven thousand years. And the way he gives of himself for his Dark Hunters? I feel like someone is taking the tortured hero crown in his fist and not letting it go.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.