Lisa's Reviews > Night Shift

Night Shift by Stephen King

Oct 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010, own, gods-and-monsters, murders-and-misdeeds, paranormal, spooky-spooky-woo-woo, vamps-witches-wolves-oh-my
Recommended for: Bri
Read from October 18 to 21, 2010, read count: 1

A fantastic selection of unsettling short stories, dealing not just in the supernatural but also the darker side of life and humanity. Sometimes tense, sometimes scary, and sometimes just plain heartbreaking, this starts off well with a story first seen in Salem's Lot. Hitting it's stride around The Boogeyman, it seemed each story got better and better, to the point where almost every new one was my new favourite upon finishing. Each was absolutely the right length - expanding upon them would have robbed them of their power, and I can easily see why some movie executive decided it would be a good idea to string some together to make Cat's Eyes (which I saw as a child, and still haunts me to this day).

Favourites:
Sometimes They Come Back
Strawberry Spring
The Ledge
Quitters, Inc (having broken on my no smoking attempt, this seems a fiendishly effective way of making sure the attempt sticks!)
The Last Rung on the Ladder (sniff!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Shift.

10/19/2010 page 225
10/19/2010 page 225
46.0% "Trucks is a much better short story than Maximum Overdrive is a film."
10/19/2010 page 340
70.0% "Perhaps if I too convince myself that my loved ones will be beaten and electrocuted if I smoke, I'll be able to quit easier?" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…