Anita's Reviews > The Fourth Nephite

The Fourth Nephite by Jeffrey S. Savage

Oct 18, 10

bookshelves: children-s-chapter, religion

Fun concept except for the idea that an unbeliever would be numbered among such a holy group; annoying main character and attitudes. I have to say, my biggest issue that bothered me the entire read was just over a name--Ladan for one of the 3 Nephites? What's up with that? We know the names of the 12 Nephite apostles the 3 were pulled from (3 Nephi 19:4), and Ladan's sure not on that list...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fourth Nephite.

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Anita, sorry it didn't work for you. As far as your Ladan question. Yes, I am aware of the names of the apostles. I could absolutely have chosen one of their names at random, but that would actually have presented two problems.

One is that many people falsely believe that anything published by an LDS publisher must be fact. So choosing one apostle over another could have led to false speculation that DB had inside information.

The second problem is that if I used an actual apostle's name, I would then be putting words in his mouth.

Instead, I went with a symbolic name. Ladan is Hebrew for witness, and, in my opinion, would be a very good possibility for an assumed name one of the Three Nephites might use.

I also didn't believe that the Three Nephites really would go by their given names all the time. But like everything else I write, it's certainly a choice and not a fact.

Sorry to make this so long. I have no problem at all with this book not working for you, but I just wanted to clarify the point you brought up.

Best wishes and good reading!