Djrmel's Reviews > The Last Witchfinder

The Last Witchfinder by James K. Morrow

2076721
Nov 04, 10

bookshelves: z2010-read, fiction, historical-fiction, professional-author-rpf-ff
Read from November 01 to 03, 2010

A book narrated by another book. That threw me off at first, as the narrating books own voice is a little on the stodgy side. But it would be, thatbook is over 300 years old. But it turns out that Newton's Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica is a natural born story teller, and as the story of Jennet Stearne's journey from student to world changing author progresses, so does the narrator's side story move along, slyly pointing out how books have changed the world. Jennet's family's business is witchhunting, but like so many children, she decides to fight rather than join. Her story is a bit Moll Flanders, a bit Forest Gump, and I mean that as a compliment. I think there might be some historical inaccuracy in how now matter where Jannett goes, her past is only held against her by the most evil of antagonists, but beyond that, this is a fun and intelligent look at the power of reason against an unreasonable world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Witchfinder.