Velvetink's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

Oct 31, 10

bookshelves: autobiography-memoir, literature-plays-authors, sports, japan, read-2010
Read in November, 2010

Actually I'm updating my star rating to 4 because bits of this keep coming into my mind, haunting me.
.3 and a half stars. Haruki Murakami's memoirs about running and writing. While I said it's motivational, it doesn't read like a how to run or how to write book, it more puts you in a certain mindscape - Murakami's that is....and if you can take something from it and it enlarges your life he would be happy. It made me "feel good" about myself, and changed the way I view "failure" in sport/exercise & how you gain something new from even the failures. Writers might probably gain some insights about regularity and structure in their lives. While I'm not a writer, I can relate to Murakami's daily routines. It's the daily practice that gets you to the end of the marathon or the end of the book, ditto with any enterprise.
Last but not least you find out a little about Murakami's life.

Library borrow.(gets precedence since we only get 2 weeks with them).

Ironic I am reading this when my foot is still out of action and it's been nearly 2 months since I've done anything but hobble. Enjoying Murakami's natural voice - it being a memoir of his thoughts about running & writing. He says it's not a philosophy but so far it's motivating me in more ways than one, even though I can't run right now.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

Velvetink I love this guy! I have no clue why I didn't like A wild Sheep Chase....didn't connect with it at all. But I really like Haruki.

Velvetink Actually what I said isn't entirely true about not connecting, I read the book from cover to cover without a stop..throughly engaged. It was just the ending that threw me off and I just didn't see the point of where it went. Otherwise I would have rated it higher. It was his first novel but I fell in love with his later ones.