mark monday's Reviews > Dr. Bloodmoney

Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick

131922
Dec 30, 15

bookshelves: z-philip-k-dick, after-the-fall, futuristik-classik

Dick places his absurdist situations, bleak scenarios, and quirky characters within an almost pastoral post-apocalyptic san francisco-bay area. the setting is primarily a small town in marin, with everyday people slowly trying to rebuild themselves and their world. the writing is typically loose and off-kilter. results are sublime. and very strange, per usual. two oddly endearing yet threatening characters stood out for me amongst the compellingly diverse cast: Hoppy Harrington - cringing, deluded, armless & legless, gifted with increasingly terrifying powers and a very specific plan to take over the world; his nemesis Bill - whiny, yearning, able to speak to the dead, an unborn twin to a self-absorbed 7-year old girl, longing for a release into the larger world. watching these two face off against each other was worth the price of admission - their escalating conflicts are wonderfully amusing and often genuinely thrilling. and yet they are but two pieces in an intriguingly mystifying and often ironic larger puzzle.

this is a book of many minor, human notes; mournful and hopeful in equal measures. a true pleasure to read.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dr. Bloodmoney.

02/06 marked as: read

message 1: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg Succinct review, but enough to get me interested in the book!

mark monday good! i loved this one.

message 3: by bobbygw (new)

bobbygw bobbygw A lovely appreciation of Dick in general with your opening lines and a compelling description of the characters and their imbroglio. Thank you, Mark.

mark monday thanks! I need to get back on the Dick train (ha). for being one of my favorite authors, it has been too long since I've read him.

mark monday and now I'm wondering why this review is yet another review that appears as if I wrote or updated it a couple days ago. I think I read this book and wrote the review in 2012.