Morgan's Reviews > Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

Apr 25, 08

Recommended for: Everyone. Especially Americans.
Read in April, 2008

I am FINALLY done with this book. It took me forever to read, largely due to the fact that it is absolutely heartbreaking. Most days I couldn't take reading it for more than 15 minutes.

That said, I believe it is one of the most important books I have read in my life. I find it absolutely unbelievable that I grew in Wyoming of all places, where many parts of "Bury My Heart" take place. I was surrounded by Native American culture, I learned about them in school, we took field trips to see places they'd lived, and yet, I NEVER learned about what really happened.

I love America, I'm thankful I live here, but this book made me angry with the government, past and present. The massacre of the American Indian was nothing short of a holocaust. The reservations they were forced to live on were little better than concentration camps.

Mostly this book gave me great respect for the beautiful culture and people that was nearly snuffed out. As a horrendously fast-paced and all-consuming America, we could certainly learn a lot from the Indians traditional way of life.

Every American should read this book.
62 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

message 1: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill I grew up in Wyoming as well and based on your review, and several others that echo it, want to read this book. Whenever I have went to the various sites like the Battle of Little Big Horn / Wagonbox Fight / Fort Phil Kearney etc. I was always disappointed that even today the exhibits and displays fail to discuss the context of the times or the political and ethical issues that surrounded each event.

How politically correct do they need to be a 125+ years later? I understand wanting to showcase the historically objective side- how the Native Americans constructed their weapons or how the Calvary dressed etc. but seeing as how each of those events had such devastating impacts on an entire cultural group, shouldn't they discuss those implications openly as well? I imagine people wouldn't be as forgiving of the contextual lapse by the curators of a civil war museum.

I love the west and believe that one of its strong points is calling things as they are- I think people there would be appreciative of the honesty. Looking forward to reading this books perspective.

message 2: by Tpk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tpk I agree that this book is devastating-- simply for the truth that Brown presents. I think that the real power of this book is that it is entirely factual.