Camille's Reviews > An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County

F 50x66
Oct 17, 2010

bookshelves: 5-stars, christmas
Read from December 11 to 17, 2010

I received the extended edition of this book from BookSneeze.

I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just to write an honest review.

I want to start out by saying: Five out of five stars!

I think that this book was the perfect book to get me into the Christmas spirit. Leading up to finals I didn't feel very "holiday" but once I finished, and after reading this book I feel the holiday spirit, and for all the right reasons.

An Amish Christmas features four novellas.

1. A Miracle for Miram

2. A Choice to Forgive

3. Once Child

&
4. Christmas Cradles

All four novellas were excellent!

I didn't expect that all four stories would be tied together, yet they were. Especially the first three!

A Miracle for Miriam is the first story, about Miriam, a young Amish woman who was previously in love with Seth Fisher and has since given up on finding love after he made fun of her during their school years. However, Seth Fisher has been through a lot since that time, including his rumpsringa and a terrible car accident leaving him still limping and in pain. He finds new beauty in Miriam that he had previously not noticed, and she is not eager to accept his attention assuming it is for the wrong reason. As the title implies there is a miracle for Miriam, but what will that be?

The next story, A Choice To Forgive is about Miriam's sister who has lost her husband of fifteen years. She had been happily married and had three beautiful children with him, but he passed away suddenly leaving Lydia a widow. Suddenly, her husband's brother, Daniel, comes back into Lancaster country, and back into her life. What her children don't know is that Daniel was her first love, not her former husband, Elam, Daniel's brother, and Lydia may or may not be ready to accept Daniel back into her life.

After that comes One Child, the story of Sarah and David, friends of Lydia who suffered a miscarriage during the prior Christmas and hope desperately for nothing more than a child. Especially Sarah, who wants to be a mother more than anything else, and is almost depressed over the fact that she lost a child and has been unable to conceive since that time. After First Christmas has ended, Sarah & David receive a knock on the door from a man whose very pregnant wife is stuck in their car which has gone off the road. Sarah is forced to face her love and great desire for children as the strange Englischer who enters her home goes into labor. Will she be able to help this Englischer? Or is it too much for Sarah to bear?

The last novella is the newest addition to this book and is called Christmas Cradles. This involves very distant characters from the first three novellas, but who were previously mentioned. Anna is a midwife who has given up her dream of marriage as she is now 26 and still unmarried. On Christmas she agrees to watch over her aunt's practice (her aunt is also a midwife) and potentially has up to three babies to birth on Christmas eve. Anna wishes secretly for a family and finds midwivery lonely, but feels she must serve her calling by God. As she stays at her aunt's during the time her aunt is out of town, she meets Asa, who is to drive her wherever she is needed on Christmas eve in order to deliver any babies. As it turns out all three expectant mothers need Anna. Will Anna and Asa find a connection, one they have been unable to find in prior years? Or will Anna and Asa realize that God has single life in mind for each of them and that that is the best way in which each can serve Him?

Each story is compelling and beautiful. I did not expect that the novellas were interrelated but I was s glad that they were because it was nice to learn more about characters that were incidental in one story but the main characters in the next. Furthermore, it made it more interesting because I felt it kept me more up to date with the characters I had met in prior novellas. The one story that stuck out more as incompatible than the other was the last, Christmas Cradles, because the characters it features as so much more remote to the central story than the prior three novellas.

However, that being said this is the perfect book to read up to and during Christmas.
Five out of five stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Amish Christmas.

12/11/2010 page 88