James Park's Reviews > The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

The Invisibles, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Oct 17, 10

Read in September, 2010

I went in to The Invisibles with an open mind. I didn't really know anything about the series or about Grant Morrison. I left this volume with a lot of mixed feelings. There's a relatively straightforward story hidden in there somewhere but I'm not sure what it is. At best, you come away knowing that The Invisibles are a group of "freedom fighters" fighting against a spiritual/pyschaedelic fascist regime of some kind. What this plot is hidden under is a heavy does of attributions, nods and alliterations to history and fiction.

I also wasn't ready for the extreme sexual language and situations that Morrison explored. Marquis De Sade and S&M feature a prominent place that can be hard to take for sensitive readers.

For the readers that take the time to go digging for the meanings of all the alliterations that Morrison uses, this will probably be a rewarding read. But for most readers, myself included, Morrison will leave you scratching your head and wondering if he's worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisibles, Vol. 1.