Jane's Reviews > Luna

Luna by Julie Anne Peters

Jan 16, 2008

Read in January, 2008

My 11 year-old daughter recommended this young adult novel to me, and I got as sucked into it as she did. I love the protagonist: 15 year-old Regan, whose older sibling Liam/Luna is on the way to transitioning from male to female and has made Regan his sole confidante. Regan is the kind of protagonist/narrator who seems to be whispering all her secret yearnings into my ear, which reminds me of my own (past and present) ones. In her case, Regan is determined to love and accept a brother who is becoming her sister and at the same time struggle with her own desires: for love, for her own young womanhood, for relief from her family's secrets.

There are a few one-note characters in this novel, namely, the mother and father. Regan, however, is real and fetching, and Liam/Luna's story is extraordinary and compelling. This is a page-turner, and a story that stays with the reader. After I finished it, I went to the author's site to find out if there was a sequel, because I longed to stay connected with these siblings and their unfolding lives.

Luna is a realistic and emotional novel that reveals the life of a transgender teen. That seems ground-breaking. It also should be praised for what it tells us about a sibling relationship, which feels honest and nuanced to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.