Cara's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jul 14, 14

bookshelves: e-book, male-protagonist, science-fiction, series, 2011, books-made-into-movies
Recommended for: people who don't mind their brain getting twisted
Read from May 17 to 30, 2011

Reading this book + No sleep= brain shock . Oh more like my brain was blown into freaking little bits. I kept thinking about it after I was done. I finished it into the late hours of the night and I kept circling in my head what was going to happen next. The point is moot but I am definitely going to read the sequel The Scorch Trials.

From the start as the reader we have NO idea what is happening. All Thomas can remember is his name. Not where he came from or any specific details of his life. Neither do any of the other Gladers who he meets in the beginning of the book. The place is filled with boys whose sole purpose is to try to get out of this place by solving the maze. They haven't had any luck in two years, but that may all change with Thomas's arrival. Strange things start to happen, and people are pointing fingers at Thomas. Will he be the one to get them out, or the boy who will bring them down?

At first I was having a hard time getting into this book. Nobody wants to answer Thomas's questions, and I got just as frustrated as he did. I actually still don't completely understand why they didn't want to answer all his questions right away. The plot does pick up speed though and you get to meet Newt, Chuck, Minho, and Alby (all important characters in their own right). The world building is good because I got the creeps just thinking about the grievers, and I can feel the desperation but at the same time the camaraderie the guys have with each other. There is also a unique language setup that was a tad-bit confusing at first but you pick it up as Thomas does. The ending certainly is gonna give the series a big shakeup. I really want to see what Dashner has up his sleeve this time.

I read this because of the good reception it was getting, but also because of a display at Barnes & Nobles. They had all these books that were hugely popular within the young adult realm and I had read all of them except, you guessed it, this one. I couldn't have any of that!

Added later: Great news guys, there are making this into a movie! Here is a link to the little info that is out about the movie. Basically nothing but hopefully in the coming months that will change!

Okay the trailer is out! I am officially excited guys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

05/24/2011
12.0% 2 comments
05/26/2011
30.0% 2 comments
05/30/2011
100.0% "Wowzah! I'm gonna have to write a review when I can be more coherent."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilian (new)

Lilian Hey,you need to tell me if its the worth the read...

Cara Yeah I'll tell you when I'm done. But so far so good;)

Cara Cookie you should read it! I liked it but some people seemed to be turned off by how much information is witheld (which is true LOTS of info is not known) but like I said I think it's worth a read;)

message 4: by Lilian (new)

Lilian Thanks Cara I will surely read it in the summer....Thanks for telling me..

Cara No prob;)

Hope 9001 THUMBS UP!!!

Wesley Isn't it flipping fantastic?

Cara OH YEAH!!!

Hope Uh huh!

Laura I really love Dashner’s style so far. Can’t wait to find out what happens!!!

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Have you finished it yet? Just to warn you it is a definite cliffhanger!

Laura I figured it would be! hahaha...not yet! Almost there. I always slow down with a really great book. I just don't want it to end!

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara That's so cool that you can restrain yourself like that:) I usually can't, if it's a good book I just speed on through to the end.

Laura It can go either way—I can read a really good book in one sitting too! I was a mess the day after Where She Went! Couldn’t stop! But sometimes when I know everything is going to change—I just want to take my time. I’m getting a bit scared now! I fear death and sadness are near. :( Eeeek!
Have you read the 2nd book yet? I might have to pick it up ASAP!

message 15: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Unfortunately I haven't actually, but I plan to pick it up soon since the third one is out already! Ah! I'm always behind it seems. haven't read the if i stay books yet. If it was that addictive maybe I should:)

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Reflecting on Thomas's always being singled out and suspected... I honestly think that if I was in the Glade, I would eventually want him out. EVERYTHING'S YOUR FAULT, THOMAS!

message 17: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Ha! I guess you're right but I think I would be in the camp that decides to trust him because they hadn't gotten anywhere before. They do seem to hint quite a bit that there is something about him that would make everybody hate him. Gosh that reminds me I need to read the next one;)

message 18: by Noah (new) - added it

Noah I just finished the book and I really like it so ima read the scorch trials totally awesome

message 19: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara I still haven't gotten to the sequel! I know i know I should. Especially now that they have a new prequel out. It's just difficult for me to keep up with the awesomeness of so many books to read:)

Wesley Yea I just found out about the prequel a couple of days ago, que me freaking out.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

this book IS AMAZING!!!!

Wesley ^heck yeah it is!

Zanel It's been amazing! :)

Michaela Judge i agree. it has got to be one of the best books i have read and trust me i read a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funnygirl1 This book is great!! I found out there is going to be a movie and I stumbled upon this fanmade trailer!!! I really really liked it!!! Here's the link for the trailer:

message 26: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Oh goodness I did not know they were making it a movie! And the fanmade trailer is cool:) Thanks for the info Funnygirl1. I'll have to post that in the review so others will know about it;)

message 27: by Chelsie (new) - added it

Chelsie Moot

Dyanne (semi-hiatus) Now I want to read this book!

message 29: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Yay! I hope you do Dyanne:)

message 30: by Momo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Momo im so glad your going to the next book and i can't wait till the movie comes out

message 31: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara I know I have to get to reading the next one:) I wish I knew more movie news, but I am excited for it!

message 32: by Momo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Momo Cara wrote: "I know I have to get to reading the next one:) I wish I knew more movie news, but I am excited for it!"

the movie comes out in march 2014 and what book are you on or getting to

message 33: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Well right now I am trying to read North and South but what I'm really excited to read soon is Clockwork Princess. Thanks for the movie info Momo:)

message 34: by Momo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Momo Cara wrote: "Well right now I am trying to read North and South but what I'm really excited to read soon is Clockwork Princess. Thanks for the movie info Momo:)"

welcome

Robert I read this book in 26 hours, with a 4 hour pause to take a long nap. Then, after finishing it and reading a preview of the 2nd book, I haven't slept for two days. It was haunting my dreams. I literally dreamed the whole book when I finally got some sleep. That's what Catching Fire did to me too. I think it's a great thing, it means the book really connected with you.

message 36: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara I know it's just one of those books that totally take up your mind. I felt the same way about Catching Fire Robert:)

Juliane Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I'm soooooo excited for the movie since I was the hugest fan of the book yeahhhh!!!!! : ) I'm so excited I'm so excited thank you movie industry you finally did something right

message 38: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Did you like the rest of the series Juliane? I haven't read the other books yet but people have mixed feelings about it but I am super excited for the movie too!

message 39: by Matthew (new)

Matthew moot. I point can be moot but not mute.

message 40: by Heidi.perry16 (new)

Heidi.perry16 This sounds like an interesting book. I will probably read it even sooner than I was planning because of how many people have told me this was a good book. When I read this it really pushed my decision over the edge.

message 41: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Oh good! I hope you end up enjoying it Heidi:)

message 42: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Matthew wrote: "moot. I point can be moot but not mute."

Oh gosh you are right! This whole time I didn't notice that. I will change it, thanks;)

takisha smith I love the maze runner

takisha smith I'm home now and then you can do that to

Halcyon ▲ Couldn't agree more with you. Right now it is 4:56 am where I am and cannot get any sleep... I keep on thinking what will happen next and want to start The Scorch Trials right away. Thank God my best friend just finished it and is willing to let me borrow it :)

message 46: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Haha hope you end up loving the sequel:)

Bethany I'm reading it right now I'm excited to find out more about the mysterious girl

Elyssa this describes me exactly. hard to get into until it picked up, then staying up late to finish. I also got the creeps from the grievers!

message 49: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara Moore I agree with your opinion that the book takes awhile to get into, but once you are hooked you can't stop reading. I read the last 100 pages in one hour. I loved all the characters and related to them, and the griever was so creepy it gave me nightmares as well.

message 50: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Rosemond I started reading this the same day I saw the movie and I am pleasantly surprised to see that they got a lot of it right... I am finding it hard to put it down even though I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen...