Kelly's Reviews > The Lost Hero

251943
Oct 23, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from October 20 to 23, 2010

I read the Percy Jackson series earlier this year and I zipped through those books. Part of it is that I've always had a fascination with Greek mythology and the idea of those Gods living in modern times, adapting to the way the world has changed over the years, was very appealing. So when I picked up The Lost Hero I pretty much knew that I was going to enjoy it. And I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I also found myself not quite as enraptured of it as I was of the PJ series.

Now, I grew up on a steady diet of the Greek Gods. In fact, I can name a good portion of them, whereas the Roman Gods always confused me. I can't explain it. Every time I'd try to match up a Roman God's name with what he or she was the God of, I had a complete blank. Hey! Maybe I'm a Greek Half-Blood. I shun the Roman side because I have that whole awesome Greek thing going on.

Okay. Maybe not.

The point I'm trying to make here is that while I found this story to be very good, downright fun in fact, I kept stumbling over which of the damn Gods they were talking about when they were explaining the Roman pantheon. *head desk* Let's face it, though, this is more my issue than any technical problem with either the story or Rick Riordan's storytelling.

So, I enjoyed the book. As usual, there are themes of betrayal, friendship, family, honor and loyalty woven throughout. Jason, with no memory of who he is or what he's capable of, was intriguing. Piper, who wants to be a regular girl with a regular family, makes a sacrifice that was hard to read about. But then, for me, familial sacrifice is always hard. Leo carries a weight on his shoulders that has been weighing him down but which he's slowly learning to let go of.

Overall, I thought it was an exciting addition to the Percy Jackson series and I liked how Rick Riordan is expanding what we learned on in the first series and making it bigger and even more epic.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.