Cynthia's Reviews > Cat Coming Home

Cat Coming Home by Shirley Rousseau Murphy

Apr 03, 2011

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads, mystery-group-read

I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program. I was quite excited to see it listed and was thrilled to be selected to receive a copy. As another reviewer mentioned, a book by Shirley Rousseau Murphy is an automatic purchase. I totally agree. I still remember the first in the Joe Grey series, Cat on the Edge. Having been a fan of Rita Mae Brown's pet mysteries, I was fascinated to find that Murphy's feline sleuths are not your average pets. Joe deciding to let his human know for the first time (via telephone) that he is safe after going in to hiding from a bad guy and, oh, by the way, not only does he understand human language, he speaks English quite well is one of the funniest passages I have read in quite some time. And that book drew me in and had me well hooked. I have followed Joe and his friends, feline and human, ever since.

This latest installment finds former Molena Point resident Maudie Toola returning to her childhood home with her grandson, Benny, after the shooting deaths of Benny's father and stepmother in Los Angeles. She longs to give the child the security, stability and love he needs after they both witness the double murder. Christmas is right around the corner and Maudie has no time to grieve. Instead, she must plow ahead and create a positive environment for Benny. What she doesn't know is that the killer has followed them or that the little town is under siege by a band of criminals who are preying on single women, brutally attacking them during home invasions. Each of the attacks comes minutes after a break-in at a business at another location... just long enough to divert police attention so the attacks can be carried out quickly and the women's belongings thoroughly destroyed. The chief is at a loss, as the attacks are random and his police force is small. The cats have been unable to help... until they come across a tomcat like themselves, an elderly kitty who arrives with his own agenda as well as a message for the police chief from one of the prisoners in Soledad prison.

Murphy weaves a story so very well. She intertwines subplots with the main storyline and the result is a very satisfying read. Cat Coming Home is a wonderful holiday mystery recommended for animal lovers and cozy mystery lovers alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat Coming Home.