Emily's Reviews > This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

This Time Together by Carol Burnett

4319857
Oct 19, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir-biographies, hollywood, non-fiction, acting, theatre
Read from October 17 to 19, 2010

Let me start of saying I love Carol Burnett. I find her hilarious and a good actress to boot. This however was bland and boring. I guess its kind of not a biography, or really a memoir. What it is, is tiny stories about people in her life, certain events etc. Each chapter is a new one about a different person or event and is only 3-4 pages long.

This wouldn't be so bad if it were more advertised this way and if the stories were more interesting. She glosses over a lot of things. Saying, things like, well this person died, and then this happened and then on to the next thing. I just felt like nothing really went together well, and each story mostly failed to entertain me.

This is not to say nothing about it was good. Carol is funny, some of it is charming and nice to know, but all in all, its not really worth it.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Time Together.

Belinda I really agree with Emily's assessment of the book. It was missing the WOW factor that was touted by Ellen Degeneres and others on the book jacket.

I watched the Carol Burnette show as a kid and have always enjoyed her characters and quick wit. However, this book disappointed me.
It reminded me more of an epitaph than an autobiography. (You know, how when someone passes, the family only hilights the pleasant things that occurred in the person's life, but everyone wonders why they didn't mention the struggles they went through or overcame?)

Also of note, I believe that this book has a very specific (read: aging) audience. At 40 years old, I recognized the names of most of the actors she mentioned, but I didn't feel the personal connection that Baby Boomers and their predecessors might.

Emily I agree with you. I love her (I'm only 20, but have always loved stars from the 50s era) so I knew most of the names she was mentioning. You said it right, there was just no real wow factor.