Marion Katrina's Reviews > I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Oct 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: judgement-day, should-have-been-favourites
Read from October 28 to November 02, 2010

I don't normally lean towards autobiographies but this was highly recommended by a friend and is an obvious classic.

Although I didn't love this book, I enjoyed the poignant and beautiful words with which Maya bound her childhood together in a definitive and pitiless manner.

This book is also a sharp and important reminder about the injustice of society. The religious dogma shook me uncomfortably but I understood the need of it.

Despite the often horrendous experiences of the author, I loved the ending that illuminated a sense of hope, life and the value of the human spirit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

Quotes Marion Liked

Maya Angelou
“The quality of strength lined with tenderness is an unbeatable combination, as are intelligence and necessity when unblunted by formal education. ”

Maya Angelou
“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.”

Maya Angelou
“Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.”

Maya Angelou
“Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.”

Maya Angelou
“I had read a Tale of Two Cities and found it up to my standards as a romantic novel. She opened the first page and I heard poetry for the first time in my life...her voice slid in and curved down trough and over the words. She was nearly singing.”

Maya Angelou
“The world had taken a deep breath and was having doubts about continuing to revolve.”

Maya Angelou
“Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you.”

11/01/2010 page 144