Adam's Reviews > A Farewell To Arms

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Oct 17, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

Can't quite explain what it was that I liked about this story. Hemingway's minimalist writing style is something that is right up my alley...the implied scene connections, quick fire adjectives, excessive use of the word "and." I was at ease reading through all of it. This is a WWI story that has so little to do with WWI. A volunteer ambulance driver sits with his mates and hypothesizes about the goings on in the war; yet none of them are directly involved in the fighting. The one thing they do get right is that war is terrible bloody hell. The story is mostly about a relationship between the ambulance driver and a nurse he spends time with while in the hospital.

Despite being wounded (again not in battle) he remains humble and refuses special mention from the press or special treatment in the hospitals. His lover the nurse does anything for this man--rides with him in a rowboat in the cold rain to escape execution in Italy. A relationship of exaggerated loyalty and humility. Without giving too much away they escape for a life together that ends in a tragic turn of events that is typical Hemingway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Farewell To Arms.