AtenRa's Reviews > Demonglass

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, ya-fiction, magic-wizards-witches
Read from February 12 to 15, 2011

4,5/5

Having loved Hex Hall, I admit I was expecting a lot from its long-anticipated sequel, Demonglass. I am here to tell you that Demonglass did not only meet my expectations but it most certainly exceeded them!

Demonglass doesn't pick up exactly where Hex Hall left off, but some time after the life-threatening events that took place in HH. That gave Sophie, the protagonist, plenty of time to evolve and we are witnesses of that from the very first page. She admits so herself, explaining that when she first arrived in Hecate she wouldn't do this or that but now she does, because the things that happened to her changed her and the way she sees things. And how could they not? Having a bunch of classmates of yours hurt or worse, killed!, and the boy you have a huge crush on turn on you, is not exactly the most pleasant situation to be in.

Along with Sophie, we get to meet new characters like Sophie's dad, James, who I found interesting and contrary to popular belief, very likeable. I liked his and Sophie's relationship, which practically had to start from scratch, seeing that he was absent from her life all these years.
There was also Nick and Rosy: semi couple and semi nuts! Oh and did I mention demons? Yeah, that too! Funny and lethal, equals awesomeness!
And of course, let's not forget Archer, the smug, hottie warlock and Sophie's crush in HH. Yes, we get to see him again, you crazy Sophie-Archer shippers! Get ready for some serious swooning because let me tell you, he is even more amazing than he was in HH! Impossible, I know! Trust me though, by the end of the book, you might just find yourselves torn between Archer and a certain someone, so things might not be as clear-cut as you think...

Of course, all of that could not be even remotely possible without Hawkins's ah-mazing, awesome, writing! I mean, her sense of humor alone is brilliant. She had me practically laughing out loud at certain points, which for me is a rare commodity. Seriously, who wouldn't love a vampire pony??
Story is told in just the right pace, not too long: full of detail and yawn-worthy, not too short: hey, what's a pink dragon doing in the yard? Did it say something about a pink dragon before and I missed it?Shoot! No, none of that. Everything's working like clockwork in Demonglass and that is what makes it such a great book, I suppose.

Oh Rachel, why do you have to be such a tease?? Yep, you guessed right! DG ends with a ginormous cliffhanger, which will only leave you with the very strong urge to pester and annoy the hell out of Rachel to write even faster, because you would desperately want to read HH3.
*whispers* Write faster, Rachel! :)

Until then though, I am sure you will absolutely love Demonglass. An 100% worthy sequel to Hex Hall, highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonglass.

02/13/2011 page 110
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Just a little while longer to wait for Spell Bound! :)

AtenRa Yeah!!!And there weren't any ARCs this time around so no one knows what to expect!

missEvi [can't commit to a book] thelw na arxisw to trito k den thumamai tipota apo auto!!!!

AtenRa aa tha sou pw egw
tha sou steilw summary pou exw krathmeno se message, dws mou ligo xrono

missEvi [can't commit to a book] hahaha eisai foverh!! who is Cal?? eimai teleios allou!