Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Dreams of a Dark Warrior

3197948
Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in January, 2012

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole is the ninth book in her Immortals After Dark paranormal romance series.

Regin is a Valkyrie who's been captured and imprisoned by the Order, a mysterious group that conducts experiments on immortals like her. To Regin's surprise, one of her captors is Declan Chase. Declan was tortured by a group of immortals and hates all immortals as a result. What he doesn't realize is that he's an immortal himself -- a berserker, or powerful warrior, named Aidan the Fierce. Centuries ago, Regin and Aidan fell in love. Over the years, Aidan has been reincarnated. Time and time again, he and Regin find each other -- only every time Aidan dies. Regin realizes that the only way to escape her prison is to get Declan to remember who he really is, even if it will eventually be the death of him ...

I like Cole's Immortals After Dark series because it has a little of everything -- strong heroines, interesting heroes, a variety of paranormal creatures, and lots of action and fight scenes. However, I'm not a big fan of reincarnation plots, which is probably why this book didn't work quite as well for me as some of the others in the series have.

Regin is a likable heroine, who struggles with her love for Aidan/Declan and her loyalty to free her imprisoned friends. The secondary characters are also interesting, including Natalya and Thad, Regin's cell mates who are also immortals. And then you have Lothaire and Nix, two characters who have appeared in several of the other books in the series and always stir things up.

I also enjoyed the Arabian Nights vibe the book has, as Regin plays the role of Scheherazade and tells Declan stories of his past lives and battles.

However, I didn't like Declan all that much as a hero. Yes, he has a good reason to hate immortals, but he lets it blind him to everything else, including the fact that the Order perhaps isn't as noble a group as he imagines it to be. Also, at one point, he tortures Regin. He feels horrible about it, but he does it anyway.

The book also sets up events for the next book in the series, as well as perhaps giving readers a glimpse of future characters and couples.

Overall, this wasn't my favorite book in the series, but it's a solid read, especially if you like paranormal romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of a Dark Warrior.