Val's Reviews > The Historian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Sep 22, 12

bookshelves: personal-favorites
Read from October 17 to November 13, 2010

As a student working on her graduate degree in library science this book intrigued me. I loved the descriptions of all the old texts, books and the travels to the little known libraries. I am facinated by that sort of history. That being said, not many others are into that much detail. If you are not into lengthy conversations and historical descriptions you will likely hate this book.

I savored this book partially because I had heard so many bad reviews about the ending. Unfortunately I have to partially agree. The ending was lacking. It needed another chapter or two to flesh it out a bit more. While to me it wasn't horrible I can see where others have hated it. The book builds and builds to what you think will be this huge confrontation only to have it end very quickly. I was left wanting a bit more action and interaction between the characters. The last confrontation with the dreaded vampire was over in only a few short paragraphs. Very disappointing indeed.

Other than that it appealed to my detail and history side. It was a long but enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.