Ed's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: 4-stars, 2010, read-on-kindle, young-adult, new-author-to-me
Read from October 17 to 22, 2010

If my gradual immersion into Young Adult fiction continues to be as good as A.S. King's Please Ignore Vera Dietz, I may never read an Old Adult book again. Though I have to admit grown up in apparently more innocent times (70s/80s), I am not sure I would want my own hypothetical/imaginary young adult reading a book, no matter how realistic it captures what I imagine to be what a young adult faces today, a book that deals with stuff like sex, drug (and alcohol), and rock 'n roll with a peppering of profanity. That said, I would not hesitate to recommend this to most of the adult readers I know.

Overall, I was impressed with the originality and intricacy of the book. King creates a fresh, hip, and confident protagonist in the title character, which is a bit of literary tightrope walk as she feels she is an outcast of sorts who just want to get through/survive high school as invisibly as possible (her mantra is the title of the book). But Vera is dealing with a lot more than high school drama, there living with her former-alcoholic dad, her absentee ex-stripper mother, and her recently deceased best-friend/future boyfriend Charlie who sells his underwear to make extra money and hopes to save his own mother from the hands of an abusive father. If that all seems a bit heavy, no worries as King still manages to make this razor sharp and funny as the novel slowly unfolds the circumstances surrounding Charlie's death and Vera's emergence from it, through her own eyes, past and present day, as well as several other major characters, including the town's hilltop Japanese pagoda! (I said it was original!).

So while she may prefer otherwise, if you are looking for something good, but a bit quirky and different to read I'd certainly ask you to please not ignore Vera Dietz.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.

Quotes Ed Liked

A.S. King
“It seems the older people get, the more shit they ignore. Or, like Dad, they pay attention to stuff that distracts them from the more important things that they’re ignoring.”
A.S. King, Please Ignore Vera Dietz