Rob Dhillon's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Oct 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: books-to-recommend, good, ipad, kindle-on-ipad
Read from June 04 to 20, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.

06/04/2011 page 8
2.0% "It's scary how Fa(s)t Food has taken over the nation. I remember my first job which was with a farmer in Washington State. It was a pure job. If you worked hard, you got paid well - granted, it was minimum wage but there were so many secondary benefits - The Mrs. making breakfast & our lunches, working outside, working hard, and sleeping really well at night because you had to be up early, early, EARLY!"
06/11/2011 page 67
16.0% "The book is beginning to get tedious, highlighting, for me, the disadvantage of books on Kindle/computers -vs- hardcopy. With hardcopy one can read books much faster by speed-reading the remainder of the book once it gets tedious. It's not the same with Kindle editions."
06/13/2011 page 97
23.0% "After getting tedious for a mo' it got interesting again. Who knew that Fast Food Restaurants were so busy breaking child labor laws and, today, are where the money is at! Just like banks in the Roaring 20s, they be where the money is at!!"
06/13/2011 page 108
26.0% "After getting tedious for a mo' it got interesting again. Who knew that Fast Food Restaurants were so busy breaking child labor laws and, today, are where the money is at! Just like banks in the Roaring 20s, they be where the money is at!! (on page 97 of 416)"
06/13/2011 page 108
26.0% "I'm on page 108 of 416 of Fast Food Nation: After getting tedious for a mo' it got interesting again. Who knew that Fast Food Restaurants were so busy breaking child labor laws and, today, are where the money is at! Just like banks in the Roaring 20s, they be where the money is at!! (on page 97 of 416)"
06/14/2011 page 121
29.0% "This book ought to be required reading for ANYONE who eats in America!"
06/14/2011 page 207
50.0% "It's exactly what Papa always said about fast food!"
06/17/2011 page 278
67.0% "I erred earlier - the version I have is the Kindle edition which I am reading on my iPad. Regardless, the section about the slaughterhouses makes one believe in unions but not at the dishonesty of unions or employers in these scenarios."
06/18/2011 page 280
67.0% "The Republicans have been on the wrong side of this issue and the Democrats have been ineffectual!"
06/18/2011 page 281
68.0% "Watch what you eat! It's better to have money and eat well than the opposite!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob Dhillon "The U. S. now has more prison inmates than full-time farmers."
Carl N. Archer a 2nd Gen. German-American w/ 6 bros & 1 sister, orig. from Sandusky, Ohio, started it all in Anaheim, Calif. His father's fav. saying was, "the harder you work, the luckier you get."

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob Dhillon The reviews also make great reading...

message 3: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob Dhillon I'm on page 67 of 416 of Fast Food Nation: The book is beginning to get tedious, highlighting, for me, the disadvantage of books on Kindle/computers -vs- hardcopy. With hardcopy one can read books much faster by speed-reading the remainder of the book once it gets tedious. It's not the same with Kindle editions.

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob Dhillon No hard data from immigrants, illegal or legal. Uses examples from one group to support conclusions based on another group, essentially judging apples as if they were oranges. A study dressed in quasi scientific trappings but not logically based.