Hannah Ruthie's Reviews > Death du Jour

Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

F_50x66
Oct 17, 10

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, suspense, thriller
Read on October 16, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I've always enjoyed Bones on TV, so picked up a couple of Kathy Reichs books in a charity shop to see how they compare. I believe that this is book two, but having not read the first did not seem to be a problem at all.

I found this a fascinating read. It includes a myriad of detail about science, anthropology and other interesting input. I wouldn't describe her as a particularly descriptive author (ie, flowing poetic language) but the constant gush of minute trivia keeps the reader engrossed. The reading is easy, with short sentences and a tight storyline. I could imagine the screen character reading the words, but the book is far more intricate, and in the long-run I would probably prefer the book to the TV adaptation. Occasionally the details got a little too intense, and I'd find my eyes glossing over and having to re-read a page.

I read it in one go, which is always a positive for the book! The plot is far-fetched, but only in the way that most crime/detective fiction is full of incredible co-incidences. It was described as a chiller, but I didn't find it particularly scary or overly tense myself (good, as I'm a wimp!) There are a number of disturbing moments when considering the deaths, particularly of children, which I never like but are integral to the book. Parts of the ending were predictable, but other parts definitely weren't: it is well-worth an evening's read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death du Jour.