Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > Three Nights with a Scoundrel

Three Nights with a Scoundrel by Tessa Dare

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: hr-regency, romance-series-not-so-much, 2011-april, romance-historical
Read from April 24 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Well, what to say about this one that all of my friends here on GR haven't already said (and much better than I could, I might add)?

I love Tessa Dare. I discovered her books earlier this year and she has quickly become one of my new favourite authors. Her voice is fresh, her characters compelling and she writes some of the best steam I've ever read.**

I hesitated quite a while before buying this book, even though I loved the first two in the trilogy, One Dance with a Duke and Twice Tempted by a Rogue. While I liked Lily quite a bit, I didn't feel much for Julian one way or another. Frankly, I wasn't sure I cared enough about either of them to read an entire book about them. Eventually my anal-retentiveness and compulsion to leave no book in a series un-read won the day. And here I am.

Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3), while well-told, just didn't grab me the same way the previous books did. I'm afraid I never really got to care much more about Julian or Lily. It felt a little like the same old, same old thing. A few different twists (of course, Lily's deafness but also Julian's alter ego and his mother's story) but not much else new. There didn't seem to be the same depth of story I usually find with Tessa Dare's books. Again, perhaps it's just that I didn't connect with the characters. You didn't get to watch them fall in love - they already loved each other. I didn't get invested in the dance. You know, the mating dance. Sometimes it takes 300 pages - does he, doesn't he, will she, won't she, tension, chemistry, steam. There wasn't any tension for me. I already knew how they felt about it each other, they knew how they felt about each other, and that was it. Again, though, it could just be that I didn't connect with either.

I guess as a result of that disconnect, something jumped out at me early in the book and took me out of the story. I never really made it back in. It's a comment Lily makes to Julian - he is tired, keeping long hours, etc., and she asks him in jest if he is a vampire.

HUH???????

This is a Regency romance, set in 1817. Dracula wasn't published until 1897. Well, I thought. Perhaps there was something earlier. And there was - The Vampyre; a Tale by John Polidori. But that one wasn't written until 1819. Somehow I just don't think asking someone who looked tired if they were a vampire was really part of the vernacular of 1817.

I found myself skimming the book just to get to the end so I could find out what really happened to Leo.

But that's where the book redeemed itself for me. The answer to the mystery of who killed Leo was wonderfully done. I had completely no idea (of course, that might be more because I spent the whole book pondering the use of the word 'vampire' in 1817) that was coming, and what a novel way to do it. It wrapped things up beautifully, and it was very believable.

**Speaking of steamy scenes, this book has one in an empty house on a piano. Simply put, it is one of the hottest scenes I've read in recent memory. I almost gave the book 5 stars just for that.

4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Nights with a Scoundrel.

04/24/2011 page 138
36.0% "It took a while, but it's finally grabbed me. Whew!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (last edited Apr 26, 2011 10:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Catherine Great review, Tammy! I don't usually mind romances that have the characters already in love (though not together for one reason or another), but I still need a compelling story and believable tension. This one lacked that. :(

How did I miss that??? I read the quote and before I even got to your reaction I was already scrunching up my brow and wondering why a normal historical was referring to vampires.

I liked the reveal about Leo, but I felt let down by how it was brushed off once the truth was learned. Lily even said something like "you didn't know?" That was it?? The reaction I spent three books building toward? I just needed more. Not more of a reason, but more of a reaction.

*Completely agree about the piano scene!*

Tammy Walton Grant You are so right about the tension.

The vampire remark -- I thought I was hallucinating when I read it. Then the whole story came to a screeching halt. It's still bugging me; it's SO anachronistic, and that's one thing Dare's books usually aren't. I'm going to go back and look again. If I did hallucinate and misread the word I'm going to feel pretty stupid :D

I agree with you as well about the reveal being somewhat anticlimactic. When Lily says stuff like, "of course I've always known that about him, he's my twin" I could buy that, but then she says something like "it wasn't my secret to tell", that one didn't fly with me. Except that it kind of fit the type of personality Lily had -- she just kept on keeping on, didn't bat an eyelash at anything.

Catherine Good point, that was like her. It was actually one of the things that irritated me about her.

message 4: by Rane (last edited Apr 27, 2011 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane the vampire caze really didn't hit until the 1820s so that was an author history bleep there..wasn't this set in 1816-1817?

Great Review Tammy! That's piano scenes alone I agree was a perfect 5 stars- RAWR!

Bark's Book Nonsense Sounds good but I had to LOL at the mention of sex on the piano. Those smartbitches ruined it for me. All I can think of this blog post .

Rane BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Sounds good but I had to LOL at the mention of sex on the piano. Those smartbitches ruined it for me. All I can think of this blog post ."

Oh god *hides face* not the lackluster anal sex book!

Bark's Book Nonsense Hee, that's the one!

Tammy Walton Grant Rane wrote: "the vampire caze really didn't hit until the 1820s so that was an author history bleep there..wasn't this set in 1816-1817?

Great Review Tammy! That's piano scenes alone I agree was a perfect ..."

Hi Rane, thanks! That was a pretty big bleep. When I was reading it I was thinking, 'wait a minute, weren't vampires a victorian type thing?' I'm surprised no one caught it.

But the scene on the piano made up for it. ;)

Tammy Walton Grant BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Sounds good but I had to LOL at the mention of sex on the piano. Those smartbitches ruined it for me. All I can think of this blog post ."

I went to the link -- LMFAO!!!!!

message 10: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Great review, Tammy. I've really got to read this author. "Her voice is fresh, her characters compelling and she writes some of the best steam I've ever read." Sounds like my kind of author. And of course, I really must read that piano scene! ;)

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Quinn! I absolutely love her books, and would recommend her in a second. This series is a good one, but my absolute fave of hers is Goddess of the Hunt. Hope you like her!

And, of course, you MUST read the piano scene. ;)