Cassandra Kay Silva's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Mar 25, 11

bookshelves: classics
Read in March, 2011

The thing I loved about this book is that it does truly capture some of the emotions that one goes through on realizing that this created "bubble" of an existence we all see as real and tangible is truly of our own making. The awakening moments when you see the fabricated nature of the reality you have subjected yourself to and that life truly can be your own. Do I agree with her choices in this regard? No absolutely not. Killing yourself and abandoning your children is selfish and cruel. But I do understand the feeling of coming alive in a world that seems as if it had been revolving around you instead of you actually living in it. I myself went through a similar awakening and can tell you that the feelings the author conveys are genuine and well constructed. When you realize you don't have to have this life, this husband, this house, that job, that darn anything. That your life is really only as limited as the controls you put upon yourself, then again of course to wake up and realize the social setting that you are in and see that there are other controls besides your own, its both freeing and stifling. I also related very well to the bit where the husband at the point where he starts to realize he is losing her does not come home and try to seek an emotional connection with the woman he knows that he is not connected to. Instead he slowly starts to withdraw and becomes expectant of the old life, followed by promises of that long since promised vacation. Grasping as it were to hold onto that old fabricated life. It is a sad book. The character really is wrong in her choices, but the feelings and sentiments are very human and very real.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.