April's Reviews > The Wrong Mother

Oct 16, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read in October, 2010

I found the last 150 pages or so of this book to be the "gripping thiller" advertised on the back cover. I honestly couldn't tell you much about the first 252 pages and even now, having just finished it, find myself struggling to come up with a decent, articulate synopsis.

Overtired, overworked mom of two discovers her work trip has been cancelled but still goes away for the week. Meets guy. They have a week long affair. All is nearly forgotten until she sees a man on the news claiming to be Mark Bretherirck, the man she spent the week with, but the man on the news is not the same Mark Bretherick. She is sure of it. The author spends about 20 pages making sure you KNOW this. The man on the news has just lost his wife and daughter in what is believed to be a murder suicide. Enter two hundred pages of cop talk, blahblahblahblah, more cop talk, main cop's girlfriend walked out on him or something along those lines, blahblahblah. And then the story FINALLY picks up, of course at this point I can barely remember the preceeding details but slog through. The ending was amazing and then it wasn't. Overall a disappointing read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrong Mother.