Monica's Reviews > The Death Cure

3420346
Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: disappointing
Read from October 11 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Ok, first off I'm going to say that I loved Maze Runner and Scorch Trials. I've been waiting for this final book for a long time. The author does a great job with fast-paced writing and action-packed scenes. The mysteries and puzzles were what intrigued me about this trilogy in the first place. Right as you're trying to get one thing straight in your head, another crazy mind trick gets thrown at you, making you shake your head and ask a bunch of questions again. So I was so excited to finally read death cure and get those answers.

Okay....now, the way this book failed for me was twofold. First, the characters. I loved Thomas. I loved that he was smart and selfless and loyal and compassionate. But he lost all of those qualities to me in Death Cure. He didn't trust Wicked. Ok, I get that--but to not want to get his memories back? Come on. He just chose ignorance over knowledge and I don't think that was true to his character. Then he rejected Teresa the whole time which I felt was unwarranted since after scorch. I think the author did their relationship a complete disservice. I'm still mad about it. I never liked Brenda and I'm disappointed that Thomas ended up with her. I mean, come on, she obviously had a double agenda the whole time, and yet he trusted her and not Teresa. Blech. Okay, and then there was Minho. He used to be funny, despite the circumstances. Nope, no more. And then there's poor Newt. His storyline was good, but the final scene between he and Thomas was just as quick as the rest of the book, and it was a shame. Fast is good, but not when the scene is as meaningful as that one. Oh and his note? I thought it was a cop-out. And I'm supposed to believe that Wicked would just let Thomas wander around Denver and not come get him because the virus was too rampant? They supposedly have unlimited money and resources, and we're led to believe they watch his every move, yet when he returns to Wicked at the end, he just goes to the bathroom and plants the disabling device? No one notices? And then when he's getting the immunes out of the maze, why didn't the other Gladers try to leave before? If everything was disabled, why wouldn't Gally and frypan and the B girls try to escape? I could go on and on.

Okay, now the second reason the book failed to me. The questions. Really? No more answers? No explaining why Thomas was chosen or how he trained the Creators. Nothing about he and Teresa or their parents or chuck or how the rest of the world is. I mean, the virus makes people zombies and a Candidate's brain was supposed to cure that? Okay... And then they just end up in a green paradise with a hundred or so immunes so they can start over? And the chancellor just happened to save him right before his brain removal and leave him a map but doesn't go to the paradise herself? Seriously.... There were so many things that didn't add up. So many questions that were answered haphazardly or not at all. Oh and I could have done without Thomas and Brenda staring off into the sunset at the end. I so don't like her. Now they're in another Glade all over again. At least before, I actually liked Thomas. I'm so disappointed because I wanted so badly to like this...I'm totally bummed :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death Cure.

10/11/2011 page 90
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sydney Thank you! I'm having the exact same problems with this book and everyone else seems to like it! I'm really frustrated with this book.

Monica Sydney wrote: "Thank you! I'm having the exact same problems with this book and everyone else seems to like it! I'm really frustrated with this book."
RIght?! Everyone else has been giving it 4-5 stars it seems. I'm a fan of Maze Runner, but come on. I waited all that time for the third installment and this is what I get? :(

Trudee Bealka I strongly agree with your review. About half way through when they are escaping and switch from blaster to actual weapons and Thomas mentions it to Brenda, she says I am for the legs but if it goes up higher that if it wouldn't bother her and Thomas thinks to himself that he likes this woman more and more every day. It was at this point that i no longer cared what happened to him. He went from hero to a person that held no value to another human being.
Also anyone who makes decisions basted on a limited amount of knowledge or memories when given the option to use all the knowledge of of his experiences is an idiot. Brenda didn't hold a candle to Teresa, I did care what happened to her and they way the author killed her off in a paragraph was disappointing.

Saima This review just sums up exactly how I felt about the book! So many questions! And ugh, Brenda. Thomas was a right weirdo, completely in love with Teresa one moment and then he gets mad at her and finds Brenda?! And the way they killed Teresa was just lame. And Newt! Ahh! I feel quite sad that the book turned out like this.

Jared Completely agree. What a let down, incredibly disappointing =(. There was no substance to this book at all. Where are my answers?!?!? Everything good about the first two books were absent. Wasn't Thomas on the verge of remembering something the whole book and yet it never came. I could pick at so many things but it wont change how incredibly let down I am. I don't understand why everyone else liked it.... just cause it had a bunch of meaningless action throughout the book? ugh , waited so long and this is what we got. =/

Sara Hawk It seems like he just wrote this book in a hurry to get it turned in by a deadline, bit didn't really out any thought into it.

Monica Jared wrote: "Completely agree. What a let down, incredibly disappointing =(. There was no substance to this book at all. Where are my answers?!?!? Everything good about the first two books were absent. Wasn't T..."
I know what you mean...there's so many things I could pick at and dissect still. I guess the most disappointing part of it is that this series had so much potential. It's frustrating to see something put up on a pedestal only to come crashing down.

message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Lewis My thoughts exactly!! I especially hate that Teresa became such a small part of the story...Thomas's unwillingness to forgive her for doing what she thought to be in his best interests seems completely unbelievable...especially considering how strong his feelings for her at one time were.

message 9: by Ron (new) - rated it 1 star

Ron I agree that this final installment was dissatisfying. For what it's worth, the book implies that Chancellor Paige wasn't actually immune which would explain why she didn't go to the paradise.

Hannah I totally agree with this. Even though i am usually a person who just gives the book good reviews just because i love reading and can't tell if i love the book or i just love reading. But this book i could definitively tell i did not like this at all. I loved the past two novels but this was UGH!

Leigh-ann Sullivan i agree with you completely. what a disappointment.

Stephen First: Why a two star? That means 'It was okay'
Second: I completely agree. I was mad enough to write a review myself

Monica Stephen wrote: "First: Why a two star? That means 'It was okay'
Second: I completely agree. I was mad enough to write a review myself"

I know...the two stars was me trying to be nice. I guess because of how much I liked the first two, I felt bad at the prospect of only giving it one.

Stephen Oh, I see. I think the rating system is messed up. Three should be 'It was okay' then four is 'liked it' five is 'really liked it', two 'Didn't like it' and one, 'Hated it'

Monica Stephen wrote: "Oh, I see. I think the rating system is messed up. Three should be 'It was okay' then four is 'liked it' five is 'really liked it', two 'Didn't like it' and one, 'Hated it'"

I agree. There needs to be a hate in there somewhere! Some books deserve it.

message 16: by Kari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kari Ramirez I wish I wrote this review! It is exactly how i felt! Boooo The Death Cure!

Stephen Well... some questions will be answered in the prequel but that is no reason to kill Teresa.

Emily I compleatly agree with this review as well as Stephens rating system (simmiler to netflix?) ...the scene when I lost all hope for Thomas I think was in the coffee shop. All fight or flight instinct gone to be replaced by an idiot... "uhh but I'm immune". BAH

Monica Emily wrote: "I compleatly agree with this review as well as Stephens rating system (simmiler to netflix?) ...the scene when I lost all hope for Thomas I think was in the coffee shop. All fight or flight instinc..."

Yeah, what an idiot.

Emily Rose Monica wrote: "Emily wrote: "I compleatly agree with this review as well as Stephens rating system (simmiler to netflix?) ...the scene when I lost all hope for Thomas I think was in the coffee shop. All fight or ..."

YEAH! It's like saying, I'm a terrorist. Obviously they won't like you and want to exterminate you. It's a death wish.

Emily lol yah know... the more I read reviews (honest ones) I remember crap n think that maybe WICKED also lied about him being immune. Maybe he really did catch the Flare in the Scorch... that at least would explain (kinda) the major character fail.

As for the girls... I never reeealy cared for either of them but what kills me is in Scorch Teresa had the tat that said "The Betrayer" and even warned him she was gunna get nasty. Thomas being sore about it and mistrusting totaly made sence but Brenda played him like a pawn right through the end n he barely batted an eye at it KNOOOWING she worked for WICKED!

Monica Emily wrote: "lol yah know... the more I read reviews (honest ones) I remember crap n think that maybe WICKED also lied about him being immune. Maybe he really did catch the Flare in the Scorch... that at least ..."

You're right...I never thought about Thomas having the Flare and Wicked lying about that part of it, but the way he acted, all irrational and angry was Flare symptomatic. Unfortunately, I don't think he had the Flare, so there's no smart way to rationalize his annoying behavior.

Emily Rose Something else I just remembered is that from the cover I thought they were going to go through another trial--a blizzardy one, which would be totally epic--but nooooooo! Sometimes I even forgot that it was supposed to be really snowy out. Or was it even snowy like that? ...I dont' really remember. Well that says it all. Anyway The environment could have been described better or the cover art could have been less misleading. And I don't want to toot my own horn but I keep thinking more and more that I could have written this book WAYYYYY better than James Dashner did.

Monica Ꮛmily Ꮢose Ꮠnϯø †ᏲᏋ ҬᏒЄᏋ†ʘp wrote: "Something else I just remembered is that from the cover I thought they were going to go through another trial--a blizzardy one, which would be totally epic--but nooooooo! Sometimes I even forgot th..."

I know--I was excited after Scorch when I saw the snowy cover for Death Cure but it had absolutely nothing to do with the book. Stupid. Believe me, I think a lot of readers feel the same way. Dashner did the first two books so well, but the problem is, if you're going to have a lot of mystery and suspense, then you have to deliver the answers or else none of it mattered.

Macon Just wanted to say, I completely agree with you review. And I also hate Brenda and how things ended with Thomas and Teresa. I really wish Thomas had gotten his memories back at some point. Maybe that would have changed this with Teresa.

message 26: by Bporter (new)

Bporter I'm so glad there are other people that hated this book. Loved the first two, but this one was like a knockoff of "I am legend" with a completely out of character selfish Thomas. Ruined the whole series for me

Jab843 The more reviews and comments I read, the more I look upon this book as disappointing. It left me with several questions, such as why didn't the leader of WICKED join the group in paradise. Also I had to question the strength of Thomas, because of his petty and weak seeming reluctance to get his memory restored. It seemed out of place. The series needed a conclusion, but I believe this is not adequate. The length of the novel as well seems to indicate that it was rushed, also WICKED seemed way too small, really? All of the remaining governments money and resources and only the Mouse man appears?? I hope the Prequel that is being planned can help answer these questions.

Emily Rose Jab843 wrote: "The more reviews and comments I read, the more I look upon this book as disappointing. It left me with several questions, such as why didn't the leader of WICKED join the group in paradise. Also I ..."

Good point about Wicked's leader. I never thought of that. I just keep finding more and more plot holes with this book. It's so disappointing when you think about what a neat story The Maze Runner was and the potential it had.

Stephen Also, it seems that Barbara? joined them in paradise even though she had the disease. Also, it seemed that the immunity was not genetic. Therefore the children in "paradise" would get the disease :P

Sensei I completely agree with your review! It's like the author wanted to get the last book out as quickly as possible and didn't think through the story. So many things didn't make sense.

And I didn't like Brenda either. Horrible replacement for Teresa. And I agree that Thomas wasn't thinking intelligently like he was in the other books.

I was quite disappointed with the conclusion to this book.

Cynthia That's soooo true. I just finished reading the book, and thousands of question circling in my brain. About the chancellor, in his tone, I feel like he is not immune, he sounds like he send away the last hope on earth to a safe place and he will happily welcome his own death in a dark little room alone.

message 32: by Lauryn (new) - added it

Lauryn Agree with everything you said! It like you read my mind.

message 33: by Lauryn (new) - added it

Lauryn It's*

Juliana U just said the exact things I was thinking, I am glad I'm not the only one who thought was a disappointment!
I still hate Brenda and like Teresa ( not saying that I wished she lived) then u have this whole paradise thing out of no where!!!

I wanted to like it and tell people how good of an ending it is in the trilogy but in reality it is just a huge mess up.

P.s. I hate when they look out on the sunset together! I threw the book across the room!

Adriana OH MY GOODNESSS! That's exactly the same thought I have after reading it. It's completely disappointing. I didn't like Brenda either & I hate the way Thomas treated Teresa. She deserved better. Seriously. And the ending? Do you wonder where the green place is? I mean, the flare is a disease caused by the sun right? How on Earth could there still be a place as green as that? I totally agree with your review.

Christopher Haffer why did he kill off Teresa??? That girl had been through so much and she dies not by the hand of a Griever or crank... But a Fu*k#%! Rock?! In a few short sentences...No closure for Thomas didn't even get to finish her last words. The ending was bull@!$%. Rushed and thrown together. *bangs head against the wall* I haven't been this pissed off since I watched the series finale of lost

Tammy Good summary. Definitely felt like a letdown to me also.

Jennifer This was my feelings for the book in a summery. I just finished th book an hour ago and I was soo mad about the ending!! NO ONE THINKS BRENDA AND THOMAS SHOULD BE TOGETHER!!!!!!I never trusted Brenda in the first place.We all know that Thomas and Tereasa should be together.I hate to admit it but i kind of dont want to read the Kill Order. I was sobbing at the end of the book becuase that was the worst ending EVER!!! And I cant belive that he is not going to tell Minho that he killed Newt,I mean sure you dont want to hurt him but Minho deserves to know. This book was a true let down!

Shevi Wow, this was a good review. I try really hard not to ship characters anymore. What happens, happens. But although there were times Teresa was annoying, she and Brenda BOTH lied to the guy. So, him forgiving Brenda quickly made no sense. For a smart guy, that was a dumb move. That and not wanting his memories.

Kelsey Okay so I havent quite finished the book yet but I am having a really hard time doing so! I completely agree with your review! That Thomas just chooses not to get his memories back is such a disappointment and as you said not like his character. And Newt! And Theresa! And everything else.. ugh! the first two books were great but this third is definitely a let down of a final to the series unfortunately.