Jason's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: for-kindle, 2011, reviewed, thrill-me-chill-me-fulfill-me
Read in June, 2011

This is the second time I’ve read this book, the first being in high school. As it turns out, I remembered hardly anything about the story save for some burning bed curtains and an attic bound lunatic. What I enjoyed most, though, was Brontë’s exceptional skill at communicating human feeling by way of metaphor. Taking an example, Jane explains her tormented feelings of leaving Mr. Rochester as being struck with a barbed arrow:
Oh, that fear of his self-abandonment—far worse than my abandonment—how it goaded me! It was a barbed arrow-head in my breast; it tore me when I tried to extract it; it sickened me when remembrance thrust it farther in.
The entire novel is filled with this brilliant imagery. Brontë is a master of language and it is amazing how one can relate to these described emotions nearly two hundred years later. Although I do find it mildly ridiculous that Jane just happens to chance upon her long lost relatives in the woods, overall I really really enjoyed this book. Again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Jason Liked

“There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brigid That is what always bugged me about this book...finding her relatives as wandered lost through the English countryside. Too bad because the rest of it is so good. Maybe that's why the left that out of the William Hurt/Charlotte Gainsbourg movie version.

Jason I saw the 2011 film recently which was pretty good. It kept the people-she-met-in-the-woods part but blatantly ignored the fact that they were her cousins. The viewer is just left to think she met some random peeps and that's that.

message 3: by Cecily (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecily I agree about the coincidence, but I tend to allow one bit of silliness in a book or film that I otherwise enjoy, if it helps the plot. Even proper sci-fi often has one idea that is more magic than science.

(Incidentally, for future reference, moors are pretty bare and barren; there may be the odd tree, but it's not woodland.)

Jonathan Books are allowed to have silliness in my view. After all who wants to read something that's incredibly realistic. It would probably be the most boring thing ever.

I must agree Jason about the use of metaphor by Charlotte Bronte. She does evoke human feeling very skilfully.

Jason Yes, I agree a little silliness is allowed, especially when the story is so well written. But a lot of times I feel most emotionally connected to a work when there are very few of those "eye-roll" moments, of which this was one. But as you can see, I still super loved it.

Elizabeth! I never saw that comment—damn you, Goodreads notifications...

And you're right about the moors. I should pay better attention to scenery when I read. I must be really narrow-minded in that sense, taking for granted that the "outdoors" must always mean woods as they do where I'm from (New England).

Cecily How do you feel about the telepathic message? That's even stranger than a coincidence.

Jason I know! It's weird how I'm okay with that, but I totally am. Does that classify Jane Eyre as a supernatural mystery/thriller? Ha!

Cecily Magical realism, perhaps?

Jason Also, I'm totally okay with the random breaking of the fourth wall.
Reader, I married him.
She's so cute, that Jane!

Cecily But did you see in my review how that line ruined the book for me the first time I read it?

Even so, I think it works, though I can't really explain why.

message 11: by Jason (last edited Jun 14, 2012 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason I saw that, but for you it was disturbing for a different reason, right? You weren't disturbed about the fourth wall; you were disturbed because you thought it referenced St. John.

But still, I've heard loads of people complain about (or at least gently make fun of) that line. I actually smiled, but maybe I'm a bit more of a romantic than I thought I was. Either way, there was very little about this book that ruined it for either of us. A solid 5 ★'s for both of us!

Cecily Agreed on all counts.

message 13: by Jonathan (last edited Jun 14, 2012 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan I gave it a solid five too can I join the five party?

Jason Manny gently mocks it in his Wide Sargasso Sea review, but that's probably just Manny Being Manny.

(You're from Boston. You got that, right?)

But if I see any serious mockings of it in the future, I'll point to it here. :)

Richard Jason wrote: "Manny gently mocks it in his Wide Sargasso Sea review, but that's probably just Manny Being Manny.

(You're from Boston. You got that, right?)

But if I see any serious mockings of it in the future..."

Manny merrily mocks multiple monographs, meting out many, many Manny moments. Hey, that's kinda like a tongue-twister!

Jason It's alliteration and it's great!

Jonathan It certainly is superbly sublime.