Lin's Reviews > Snuff

Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, discworld, disc-watch
Read from October 13 to 18, 2011

I am so totally the wrong person to review a Sam Vimes book. I am so completely biased its untrue. A 5 star rating was pretty much guaranteed as soon as the Commander strolled onto the page.

But at the same time it's totally deserved because Commander Samuel Vimes, the Duke of Ankh-Morpork and one time blackboard monitor is just about the greatest character ever created - to me at least. And I will stand by that. I love reading about him, his funny inner copper monologues and his grand speeches from the street boy whenever he gets one over on someone.

Honestly my favourite thing about this outing was the relationship between Vimes and Sybil. It's gone from understated to be one of my favourite ever couples over the eight core City Watch books. Their interactions are just so real and truly loving.

As per usual for a Discworld book it's funny, witty, clever, intelligent, interesting, exciting with some awesome low brow humour.

This one's a true Vimes and family book, the rest of the watch only turns up occasionally. Wilikins is the non-Vimes-star of the show as the gentleman's gentleman with a crossbow. Feeney was fun but rather generic as young-country-bumpkin-copper-caught-up-in-the-Commanders-considerable-wake.

The Summoning Dark returns as well, which to be honest really surprised me.

Plotwise - Vimes takes a holiday with his wife and six year old son (6 years!! I just looked and Night Watch was published 2003, now that makes me feel old) Of course being Sam Vimes he senses something is wrong in the countryside and discovers the body of a goblin girl. Soon he realises that goblins are sentient creatures and goes about changing the law in a way only Sam Vimes can.

Sir Terry, you are forever my hero, as is Sam Vimes

"And then the barman, who apparently didn't know the score, created on the spot the 'Sam Vimes', which Sam later pretended to be embarrassed about when it became part of the repertoire in every drinking establishment on the Plains, apart from, of course, those where the clientèle tended to open their bottles with their teeth*"
*Or, perhaps, somebody else's.

(Also can I just add how amazing the cover art is for this. It perfectly depicts the book, and I caught myself studying it more than once)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snuff.

10/13/2011 page 46
12.0% "Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Yay yay yay. Love Vimes so much"
10/14/2011 page 211
53.0% "just when i thought Vimes couldn't be anymore my favourite character ever, this comes along. why did i not take a few days off work for this?"