Jessica's Reviews > Blubber

Blubber by Judy Blume

Oct 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: materials-for-youth, age-10-15, pre-2000, contemporary-realistic-fiction, juvenile, novels
Read in October, 2010

Three main characters in this book are Jill, the narrator, Wendy, the "popular" girl, and Linda, an overweight girl in their class. Jill wants Wendy's approval and goes along with Wendy's bullying of Linda, who did a report on whales at the beginning of the book. They nickname her "blubber" because she talks about blubber in her report. The bullying is really nasty and difficult to listen to even after out of the elementary school environment for as long as I have been--I remember girls like Wendy, like Jill, and like Linda. Jill learns how it feels to be bullied when Wendy turns on her and stops taking orders from Wendy.
I was a little disturbed by the aloofness of the adults in this book. The teachers seem to have no idea what's going on, and the parents don't really seem to know or understand what the kids are doing. It seems that even the most aloof teacher would notice the kind of bullying going on in this book.

Note-listened to this on audio. Thought it was interesting the inflection of the voice for certain passages of dialogue. I might have read certain passages differently--instead of whining or sad, I may have read it as defiant or sarcastic...would make a difference.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blubber.