Rebecca's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Sep 17, 14

bookshelves: scifi, read2010, ya
Read in November, 2010

Remind me not to ever have high expectations. The first line IS great, and it shows off the best parts of the story - the narrator's voice and the love of a boy and his dog. But otherwise it's like Ness tossed together my least favorite bits of other fantasy trilogies without any of the redeeming factors. "The most endless walking since The Fellowship of the Ring!" "Sure to please fans who didn't get enough Symbolic Knives of Manhood and creepy prepubescent Adam and Eve parables from The Golden Compass series!" Most of all, how is this book so looong? Nothing happens in 479 pages and I'm supposed to stick around for sequels? Not effing likely, to use the local parlance.
----

Oh man, in case I wasn't anticipating this book highly enough, here is the blurb on the back: "One of the best first sentences I've ever read and a book that lives up to it!" -Frank Cottrell Boyce. I should mention that Frank Cottrell Boyce is only one of my favoritest writers, and I'm been very fixated on first lines lately.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

message 1: by Katie M. (new)

Katie M. Your fatal flaw is that this review is so enjoyable that it almost makes me want to read the book.

Rebecca Noooo! I've used my power for evil!