Boyd's Reviews > Things We Didn't See Coming

Things We Didn't See Coming by Steven Amsterdam

1907260
Oct 16, 10

Read in October, 2010

I'm not sure what makes this little Book of Nightmares a story collection rather a novel, other than the fact its author says so. There's nothing particularly discrete about its subsections, and I can't see any one of them standing up all that well on its own.

But that's a tiny quibble about a very interesting, if uneven, book. The prose is one of its real pleasures: it's economical without being either flat or--like THE ROAD--ostentatiously stark. It's also, and not infrequently, witty, largely through the narrator's matter-of-fact negotiation of each new calamity.

And there are plenty of those. Several biblical standbys--drought, flood, pestilence, etc.--make an appearance, along with more modern aggravations having to do with the establishment of a new society amid unpromising circumstances. Surprise, surprise, bureaucracy survives the apocalypse in spades: at several points you get a pretty good idea of what it might be like if Franz Kafka ran the Department of Motor Vehicles.

The author is able to keep overheated dystopia-speak at bay for the greater part of the book, and if he slips up toward the end, well, what the hell? It's his first book. And I did learn something from it that may come in handy at some point in the future: a cooked rat will feed two people, but not necessarily three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things We Didn't See Coming.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Boyd, your review made me laugh out loud.

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie M . . like if Franz Kafka ran the DMV . . FUNNY.