Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > It Happened One Autumn

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

** spoiler alert ** 'Wallflowers' series will always be my first love in historical romance. And even though I've only read the first two books so far, I have this distinct feeling that I will forever cherish these stories, the romances and the wonderful characters.

With this book, we're told the story of Lord Westcliff, close friend of Simon Hunt -the previous book's hero- and Lillian Bowman, the sharp-tongued wallflower.

Lord Westcliff, I already loved from the previous book. Sure, he was cynical, seemed to be a bit hard-headed, but he was loyal and totally checking Lillian out in their half naked rounders game!
Marcus, Lord Westcliff is the kind of man who's used to be in charge and have control over his life, and on some occasions, the lives of others. But don't let this description fool you, because he's actually a very tender man who only wants the best for those he loves and he's cold and distanced only for the way he's been brought up by the man he calls father. I'd say 'tough love' but that sperm donor of his had nothing even remotely related to love in his actions towards his son.

Even with such a man as a father Lord Westcliff seems to have grown up pretty well. He may be difficult sometimes but he also knows the meaning of true family and friendship and loyalty, and thanks to Lillian's appearence in his life, love. Needless to say I absolutely loved Lord Westcliff and I was so happy to read him find his happiness.

Now, Lillian was also a character I loved so from the previous book. Then again, I don't think there's any one of these people I have even doubted a little from before. I just loved her sharp tongue! She was the kinda heroine that if she was told in modern times would no doubt be a kick ass heroine. I very much enjoyed how she constantly challenged those around her and how crazy she made Westcliff! I'm a complete lover of bickering love -something I might've mentioned a few times before :P- so this couple was top notch for me.

Apart from the main couple, I loved the appearences from Annabelle and Simon, and was so happy to find out they're expecting.

I loved the whole perfume mystery, it was something I very much enjoyed reading and when it was revealed that the secret ingredient was in fact Lillian herself, it was an 'awww' moment for me.

I thought Daisy and Evangeline were explored more in this, we got hints here and there about their personalities. I know we already know them, especially Daisy since she's Lillian's sister and more extroverted than Evangeline. But Evie is still a bit closed. I'm really looking forward to knowing more about her and reading her fall in love and rid herself of that horrible family of hers.

Which brings me to Lord St Vincent. I did think he was adorable when he appeared, even though he made passes at Lillian and was clearly trying get himself some sort of financial releaf. He's a versatile character, a man who's unpredictable but I gotta admit I didn't expect his kidnapping, secretly marrying and forcibly seducing Lillian plan. At all. Even after they found her, and even after he was attacked by Westcliff I still expected a marshmallow explanation about the way he acted. I sure look forward to how he'll atone for his actions. Because a player like him sure would make a good match for the shy wallflower.

There were many scenes that did things to my insides. I just love how Lisa Kleypas writes love scenes, the intimacy is just beautiful. And the way the characters connect with each other, the lovers fall for each other is just as beautiful and smooth.

Needless to say I cannot wait to read the rest of this series. I already made up a nice space for all the books on my bookshelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Happened One Autumn.

11/04/2010 page 104
33.0% "I want some of this damn perfume!!"
11/04/2010 page 281
88.0% "THE PEAR INCIDENT!! :D"

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Awesome review, Gokce as always :P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Aw, thanks Annie :)

I just posted this, when did you have time to read it?? LOL.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! I'm stalking you..muahaha!

Nah, I saw it on my feed! I haven't read any of the books from this series, but I heard it's great! Gonna check it out soon!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LMAO!!! Annie, you're so fun!! :D

OMG, you *HAVE* to read this series! This is my first love in historical romance and I just adore it. Lisa Kleypas is surely one of my fave authors and the heroes are to die for! ;D

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Nice review! I can't wait for you to read Evie & Vincents story.....Hurry,Hurry! haha...Just kidding! Take your time. I zoomed through this series so fast.I couldn't help it,it was that good.Now I wished I would have indulged on them more,but that's what friends are for I get to get a re-run on updates & Reviewa.

Sooooo Annie,get your tush moving! hahaha...You won't be disappointed =)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! I'm on it Elena! There's so many books to read but I'm not complaining! I'll add them to my TBR pile. Hope to get to them soon!

I haven't read many historical romances to be honest. Not sure why, guess nows the time to try it out!:P

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) p.s. I'm not really stalking you, Gokce! unless you want me too :P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Elena, believe me I cannot wait for it either, especially after what happened in this one and how it ended!! Gah!! However he pissed me off with his bad boy actions in this one, I just couldn't hate St Vincent! lol. I guess that's the idea but man, he's pretty hard to hate!

Annie, it is the time to try historical romances ;D

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Annie wrote: "p.s. I'm not really stalking you, Gokce! unless you want me too :P"

LMAO Annie!! :D

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) :P Hope you don't think I'm a creeeeeeep!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ NEVER!! :) I looove talkingranting to friends!! :D

Btw, I started Sin Undone Annie!!! \o/

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) AHHH! SO SO GOOD! Hope you're loving it!

message 13: by Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ (last edited Nov 06, 2010 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ OMG I DO LOVE IT!!!!!!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks Suzanne! :D

message 16: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Fantastic review, Gokce! I absolutely adored this book and I am now obsessed with every little sighting I can get of Lord Westcliff! It makes me want to read this series and then reread the Hathaway series just so I can get more! LOL.

I felt very betrayed by St. Vincent kidnapping Lillian! I really loved him up to that point, despites him putting the moves on her, but I was just HURT that he would do that! I still like him and I'm loving Devil in Winter (have you started that yet) but he's going to have to earn my trust again!

Annie! Read this series!

P.S. Gokce, I bought Secrets of a Summer Night today so I can read about Simon and Annabell and yours and Suzanne's badgering me can stop! LOL ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks babe!!

Oh I know, I find myself grabbing the book sometimes to read some parts over and over again. Ah! I don't know how I'm going to part with it when my sis leaves with it!! Gah!!

Yes! I kept thinking maybe St Vincent would come up with something to redeem himself, maybe he somehow sent for Westcliff and they found her, maybe he was trying to save her from a worse fate by snatching her himself because otherwise that bitch of a mother of Westcliff's would do worse things etc. But I turned out to be wrong of course and that's good cause then it'd be too easy and too cheesy so yeah. But not cool, St Vincent!

I wonder how they'll all treat him and how he'll make things better.

I don't have Devil In Winter!! It's not out here yet and the 4th one too. I can't wait to read them!!

Yayy!! \o/ You should read ALL Wallflowers books and Simon, oh Simon, is just so awesome. You'll love him chica, can't wait to know what you think of that ;D

Annie READ!! Lol.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL. I'll pick it up ASAP!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL. You better! ;D

message 20: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah No! You are letting your sister take it with her! D:

It was pretty shitty of him if you ask me. I was pretty pissed because I was lovin' on him, from the beginning of IHOA and Mine Till Midnight, and then THAT happened and I was basically just left gaping. Stupid St. Vincent! Oh how I love you, you adorable idiot!

Me too! I wonder how Lillian and Westcliff, and the other Wallflowers, are going to react to Evie and St. Vincent being married! I can't wait to find out! LOL

*GASP!* It's not out yet?! That so sucks! When does it come out by you? This is very reminiscent of Suzanne waiting for Love in the Afternoon! D:

I AM going to read them all! Now that I have them all, LOL. I can't wait to read about Simon after the way you two have been gushing about him and I liked him in IHOA, too.

Yes, Annie, READ IT! ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yeah, she's read the first one as well and we're both all over Simon and she's been waiting for me to buy it from here and will take it back to Turkey to read :( I don't wanna part with my Marcus!!

I know what you mean. I only know him from this series so not much but I still loved the guy even though he kept flirting with Lillian and tried to snatch her away. But the kidnapping and the forced marriage?? Well, he's got a lot to make up for! And I can't wait for him to squirm with his love for Evie. He deserves heartache, well, for a while at least :)

Nope, Devil in Winter comes out by the end of january and Daisy's book comes out in march. WTF.

I know I would read them all at once if I were you too! ;D And when I finally read them we can all swoon over all the guys!!
Oh Leah, yes, read Simon, he's adorable, I love him! Lisa Kleypas has a knack for writing wonderful heroes!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Simon Hunt is the best one in the series, haven't you read it Leah? Have you been *gasp* reading it out of order?!

I have to say St Vincent isn't my fave, I like him and he does have some great "hero" moments in DiW (which I will send to you this week Gokce!) but I don't see how you could prefer him over my honey bunny Simon and my stud muffin Westcliff!

If you want more Westcliff moments you need to read "Again the Magic" he is in that a lot, but itis pre Lillian.

Regina Suzanne I thought you knew that Simon Hunt is MY honey bunny. :) Simon and Hardy are two of my favorites that Kleypas has created.

message 24: by Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Nov 09, 2010 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I don't think so, I claimed him first! Him and Derek Craven and Kev from the Hathaways, ALL mine and locked away in my harem! I will let you keep Hardy, even though he was my fave in the Travis series.

You might change your mind when FINALLY read this book *nudge nudge* : )

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Pretend you lost it! Better yet, make her buy her own copy of MY Marcus! D:

And oh man, is it great to see him squirm! As soon as I finish my emails, I am going back to him in the hopes that he will realize he loves Evie soon! I've only got about 50 pages left!

WTF is right! You poor thing.

LOL. I am going to. But I am reading Annabelle and Daisy after I read the other books for my challenges this month.

*gives Suzanne a droll look* You know I haven't read Simon's book yet, you crazy woman.

Well, I wouldn't know if I prefer Sebastian over Simon yet! And I definitely DO NOT prefer him over MY Marcus!

I saw ATM at the store the other day and really wanted to get it but I opted to get Annabelle and Daist instead. ATM is on my Christmas list, though, so hopefully I'll get it, LOL.

Just as long as the two of you know that Westcliff, Cam, and Harry are mine, you may continue to fight over the other ones!

Regina Oh no -- there is a hero named Sebastian in the Kleypas books? :( My son is named Sebastian - I may avoid that book.

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! Just think of him as St. Vincent and block it out when they call him Sebastian! You cannot skip St. Vincent's book! D:

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Ah, these guys..*sigh* We should put them all in one island or something where no one knows and have our way with them!! Lol! :P

I loved how Simon was a friend to Annabelle and how possessive Westcliff was, they're both pretty awesome!

Leah, I know, it's crazy! Thanks to Suzanne(I love ya!) I won't have to wait that long but really, it's crazy!

LMAO! When you said ATM I thought you drew cash to buy more books and then I realized you were talking about Again The Magic *sigh* I didn't know whether to laugh or hit my head on the wall.

Regina Lady Leah Westcliff wrote: "LOL! Just think of him as St. Vincent and block it out when they call him Sebastian! You cannot skip St. Vincent's book! D:"

LOL -- good idea. :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I can't believe you are reading them out of order Leah, that is almost as bad as not having matching covers!!!

Well as long as you know before you read the SoaSN, that means you won't get your hopes up about claiming him!

Just think of him as St Vincent, that is mostly what everyone calls him, so it should be okay! If not, you may have to rename your son : )

Regina LOL, we usually call my son Basti or Sebi, so maybe it will be okay ....

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, I am sure you can do it. Like I said renaming is always an option! But you still gotta read this book yet!

message 33: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I love the island idea, Gokce! We should put that into action immediately! LOL

LMAO! I am laughing so hard at you right now over the ATM thing! LOLLLLL!

Suzanne, I just couldn't stand not reading them anymore! They were calling to me "Read me, Leah, readdddddd meeeeeee!" SO I HAD TO READ THEM! D:

LOL! That's okay, you can have him since I already claimed Westcliff, Harry, Cam, and now I'm claiming Sebastian St. Vincent! LOL

Regina, you can do it! Don't worry, you will make it through! ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I'm already looking for secluded areas Leah!! :P

Yep, I'm sad sometimes LOL!!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Island idea, what island idea?

Lol you do realize that you are in trouble when your books start talking back to you don't you? *quick get the straigh jacket!*

*gasps* you are such a book ho Leah! But I will allow you to take them as I don't want any of those guys as much as Simon Hunt & Derek Craven & Kev & Jack Devlin, okay I may also be a book ho too!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ We thought it'd be a great idea to put all our crushes to an island have our way with them!! :P

LOL. By the way, I was in M&S the other day, at the food section, and there was this huge poster with pears on it -PEARS!!!- and I started laughing in the middle of the food court! LOL. I know people were staring and thinking I was crazy but man, I couldn't care less!!

message 37: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Suzanne, how did you miss the island idea?!

Don't be hatin' because my books talk to me and yours don't! We obviously have a better relationship!

LMAO! You are a book floozy and I'll be a book ho. We gotta mix it up a bit! LOL

PEARS! LOLLLL! Ohhhh, Lillian and Westcliff!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) You are right Leah how did I miss such a BRILLIANT idea! How would we arrange buying this island!? We need to look in to this!

*sniffs* that isn't true me and my books have a very close relationship, thank you very much! lol

Okay, I can be a book floozy! I am down with that, better then book whore LOL

LOL! They must have thought you wear crazy! Lets hope no one gives you pear brandy (it was brandy yes?!)! I told you you wouldn't look at pears the same way again!

message 39: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Maybe I could use my womanly wiles to convince Johnny Depp to give us the island he owns. You know I'm good at persuasion ;)

Now don't get upset, honey. I was just saying that maybe me and my books are closer than you and yours.

LOL. We don't use the word "whore"; it's demeaning. We use "ho."

I thought it was whiskey? Is that the same thing? I clearly don't know my alcoholic beverages. LOL.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh man, I LOVE Johnny!!! And he freaking owns an island??!! LOL Leah! Oh, I would totally take up the task of convincing Johnny, I'd convince the hell out of him! ;D

I can't remember which one. I think I was lost picturing myself in Lillian's place and be carried up to Westcliff's bed..*sigh*

Oh yeah, Suzanne, pears are forever linked with Westcliff now!

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! Yeah, I'm pretty sure he owns his own island in the Caribbean. But, Gokce, honey, you don't have my skllz. So I'll have to undertake this endeavor! LOL

LOL! Same here, Gokce! Who cares what kind of liquor it was! I WANT WESTCLIFF!

OMG! I was reading last night and the word "pear" was said about three times on the same page and I BURST OUT LAUGHING! LOLLL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ OOORRR, after we remember what kind of liquor it was we can dip Westcliff in it and have our way with him!! ;D Then we'd forever remember.

LMAO!! Leah, do you see how our lives are changed? Pear is the king of all fruits now ;D

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *dreamy smile* images of licking Westcliffs dripping body...... *licks lips*

It is strange, Pears are suddenly on my mind ALOT more lol! Definately King of the Fruits, however I can't eat them as they make me giggle and blush whenever I see one LOL

Leah, you do have some serious skillz lol remember we have the outfit all lined up for you lol

message 44: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LMAO! This is true! What a great plan!

LOL! Our lives are forever altered from our friendship. Pretty much everything nowadays reminds me of you or Suzanne or Laurie or Akra or Alli, LOL. Oh and I finished that book today and it said pear a bunch more times and I was at work and I started giggling! LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Same here, I can't say bugger, pants, whilst and other things (which I didn't realize how mcuh I said until we started talking about it!) now without laughing to myself, I swear people think I am going crazy with spntaneous giggling! LOL

What book were you reading?!

message 46: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Ahhh yes! The outfit! LOL

Same here! And the sad thing is when it happens to me in the middle of class and I start laughing or get a crazy smile. For example the rounders game thing I told you guys about the other day! The people in my history class who sit around me looked at me like I was insane not only for knowing that rounders if the origins for baseball but because I started smiling and laughing like an idiot! LOL

I was reading Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas! That woman loves her pears! LOL!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! I'm with you guys, it seems like almost everything reminds me of all of you, we sure do cover a lot of everyday stuff! :D

What's with Lisa Kleypas and pears?? ;P

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! So true! There's practically nothing that does not remind me of you guys or our conversations.

I don't know! I'm reading another one of her books now; I'll keep you updated if pears are mentioned! LOL!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) We do seem to cover a lot of topics! It is nice though to look at everyday things and smile : )

LOL maybe LK has a secret (not so much anymore!) pear fetish? Or maybe it is us projecting our secret pear fetish?!

message 50: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Very true. It's great to have good memories to apply to things as opposed to bad ones.

It could be either one of those! Or maybe she is trying to tell us that SHE knows about our secret pear fetish and wants US to know about it! How sneaky she is! ;D

« previous 1