Ryn's Reviews > A Rose in Winter

A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: couldn-t-get-through
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Another spin-off of a classic Beauty and the Beast story, only the Beast isn't actually a beast at all, but a gloriously handsome, wonderfully nice, loving man. Which sort of defeats the whole idea of Beauty and the Beast.

However, I don't think the author was aiming for that theme anyway; more a theme of 'One can be gloriously handsome AND be wonderfully caring ALL AT ONCE, especially if one has an equally gorgeous and kindhearted love.'

"But, Ryn!" you say. "Stop being so judgemental when you didn't even read the whole book, you silly ****!" All I can say is that I tried. I read right up until she got married to the 'beast' and settled into the tumult of wedded bliss to a masked stranger, with a an insistent old boyfriend demanding benefits on the side.

I dislked each character in this book, especially the heroine, who was unintelligent and boring, but beautiful and fiesty, if you can imagine. The combination of these traits made her irritating and useless. I disliked the whole plot, which really could have been a good story, if the author had allowed any flaws whatsoever to create a modicum of depth in her characters. I only rated it one star because I couldn't rate it any lower.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose in Winter.