Rodney's Reviews > In This Way I Was Saved

In This Way I Was Saved by Brian DeLeeuw

M 50x66
Oct 25, 10

Read in September, 2010

This is the work of a new writer with serious talent and shows a lot of promise as a debut novel. The descriptions and dialogue throughout were impressive, as was the creepy factor. The narrator, a mysteriously formless being of some kind with a consciousness, has a great voice and a consistently dark personality. The plot itself tended to be lacking in true tension and direction though. This became more and more evident as the sequence of events took place and became most evident in the end, as the conclusion of the book left a lot of my questions unanswered. Not in the enigmatic, "well, some things just aren't meant to be resolved" sense, but in a "what the hell is this thing ending here for?" sense.
One of the major characters, Luke, was not fully developed and never materialized as more than an almost obligatory afterthought of a secondary presence. Luke's mother, Claire, also left a bit to be desired as there were times when her character seemed to be one of the central pieces to the story, then she would virtually disappear from the plot altogether. Her psychological make-up and how it impacted Luke was well introduced through a couple of pretty intense scenes early, but it was never realized to its full potential.
Again, Brian Deleeuw seems to have "it" as a writer and knows how to intrigue and creep out the reader quite well. He writes in a direct but very descriptive manner, painting extremely clear pictures in the reader's mind. This story had a lot of promise and a great premise, but kind of deflated en route to an abandoned puzzle of an ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In This Way I Was Saved.